KDX200SR in Afghanistan questions

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
Hello all just signed on, here in Afghanistan ( firebase ) , and just bought a KDX200SR from the local town.
Questions, How can I tell the year ? VIN is DX200G 018981
Has a 19" rear tire , can I convert it to a 18 " ?
(all tubes and tires here are 18")
Understand the pipe mod is very hard to do on the SR , could I get a KDX200 pipe gut it and weld the flange from the old pipe to it ?
What about the rear pipe ? any mods ?
Would brake pads , handlebars , and such fit from a US KDX200 ?
Any info\ help would be great !!
Thanks

honest-al

Apr 22, 2009
I live in the Philippines and have a DX200G also.
Mine came with a 18" rear and 21" front. A lot of the parts are the same as the U.S. model that Ihad before.
The pipe mod is not that hard and works well. It does take a little time and you still end up with a heavy pipe but it is worth the labor. Does yours have a steel tank and 28mm carb?
My carb was shot and I found a 28 copy of a Mikuni (made in Taiwan) and it's perfect. Went to a 260 main and the needle is in the middle with the stock pilot. Running a NGK BP8ES.
Mine seems to be a 1994 and I have done a complete overhaul and all the parts seem to be the same as the U.S. model except for the exhaust gasket because of te flange mount that I also have. Most of the seals I found at the local auto supply for a fraction of the cost of the originals!!
My only problem now is fork bushings. I have 41mm inverted forks and everybody only lists bushings for 43mm.
Mine had auto-lube at one time cause the pump is still on it but that's all. I like pre-mix anyway.
Good luck with your bike. I really like mine for trail riding even with the small carb it still will spin the rear tire and has the perfect amount of power for our trails (which are VERY difficult)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Does / did it have blinkers? On some Kawasaki Japan site, there is a parts diagram for some verison of the SR. Searching for it might help you match up parts.

Good luck!

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
yes it did ( does have blinkers ) , I read that the pipe mod is a lot harder than the US pipe, true ? changed out the 19" for 18" , as tubes and tires are all 18" here.
Bike runs strong , just needs the plastic cleaned up , new decals, and new handlebars ,
There are used pipes on e bay , might get one and try the pipe mod and than weld the flange on to it .
Still trying to find out what year it is

honest-al

Apr 22, 2009
Forgot to get to your original question. Yes you can relace your rear wheel to an 18". As a matter of fact, the U.S. model sprockets will work.
Mine had a small rear sprocket and I changed to a 50 for our type of trails here.
Be sure and put two rim locks on because you will spin the tire and get a flat if you don't! These things have a lot of torque!! Mine was still having a case of tire slip with two rim locks so I glued the tire to the rim! No more problems.
Don't know if mine had blinkers. It has all the "street riding" switches on the bars but I don't think there is a blinker switch.
When you relace your wheel, make sure you use some H.D. spokes. I have #9 on mine.
Good luck.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
honest-al said:
Mine was still having a case of tire slip with two rim locks so I glued the tire to the rim!

:yikes:

Open class motocrossers won't spin the rim with one, properly-installed rim lock. You don't have your locks installed correctly....or they are the wrong size locks.

Instead of glue, use four sheet-metal screws installed through each side of the rim into the tire beads. Much easier to remove the tire that way. :cool:

Mud

honest-al

Apr 22, 2009
Trust me. This little punt has some serious hook up!
I've been riding and racing since 1956 so I think I know how to install a rim lock!
The sheet metal thing ain't nothing new as Bultaco's came with this set up stock.
I was going to do that but I needed stainless stuff because everything here rusts overnight and I could not find any.
By the way running higher tire pressure will keep the tire from spinning somewhat. On my flattrack bikes (500 and 750) I never ran a rim lock but I also ran 14-16lbs. On the KDX I run 8lbs.

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
Thanks Al ,
Hey what ratio to oil to gas do you run ?? Or is your oil pump still hooked up ? How hard is the pipe mod ? just the like US ?
Here in afghanistan they used 10 weight motor oil in the gas ??? As two stroke oil is hard to get ( we are in south in the middle of the desert)

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
honest-al said:
I've been riding and racing since 1956 so I think I know how to install a rim lock!
I would think you would, also...but that doesn't mean you do. You wouldn't be the first guy with 200 years experience who made a mistake. :cool: (I still screw up on occasion myself)
Are your rimlocks of the correct size?
As I said earlier, I never had a problem with a single, correctly-sized rimlock on the rear of my dirt bikes, and I raced Open Class motocross for years back in the seventies ....so I can't help you any further on that. Best of luck to you.

BTW, no one claimed the sheet metal screw tip was anything new...just something you might want to try instead of rimlocks that aren't working for you? :whoa:

Mud

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
Hey , have one more question, my carb is shot on my bike, was thinking a Mikuni VM series about a 30mm size (bike is all stock) would this be a ok carb ? would it bolt right up ? and what about thr jets ?
it takes about 5 to 6 weeks to get mail here from the states ( bike bandit) , so what to make sure this will work
Thanks

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
You will spend less money, time, and trouble cleaning and adjusting your present carb than you will on a new, different-sized carb that you have to jet/adapt/adjust to make your bike run right.
What, exactly, is wrong with your carb now?

Mud

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
It is damaged , has a crack on the main body ( where the cap screws on ) about 3" long and and the float bowel is cracked and leaks .
Saw the Mikuni Vm on bike bandit for 80.00 bucks thought I would give it a try .

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Wow, it does sound like time for a completely new carb, Bill.
I'd still go with a factory replacement carb, even though it costs more initially than the BB Vm. Unless you like spending time and money adapting parts.....

Mud

honest-al

Apr 22, 2009
When I got mine, the bike was hard to start so I cleaned the carb. As usual, the pilot was clogged.
The stock carb had a piece of the slide broken off!! How the hell that ever happened I'll never know.
I bought a new "Taiwan copy" of a vm28 Mikuni. I laid it side by side a "real" Mikuni and could not see any difference and it was less than half the price.
I would recommend this carb to you because it works great in my KDX!!!
The only jet I changed was the main jet. I went to a 260.
It will bolt right on and you can use the same throttle cable.
Needle on my is in the middle notch.
As far as oil goes, the pump on mine is still there but that's about it. It's not hooked up so I run pre-mix.
We get a good selection of oils here and I run Elf sythentic.
I mix it 50-1. I think if you were to run motor oil, you should start at 40 to 45/1 and do a plug check or two.
The biggest difference between 2 stroke oil and motor oil is that the 2 stroke oil has additives in it to keep it mixed with the gas.
BTW the plug I'm running with the 28mm carb is a NGK BP8ES and it's running a nice light brown color.

bagpuss

Nov 21, 2008
HI billpro ive got a 28mm carb you can have for free its ok and in good condition its your's just sort out the postage im in Sydney Australia so have a look into the postage side of it and and we can get this off to you and get you back riding mike

bagpuss

Nov 21, 2008
Also try looking on Ebay the UK one as i got my brake pads and brake hose's for about 1/3 of the cost of here and in less time PM me and i will send the sellers name if that helps mike

Top Bottom