LucasR

Jun 8, 2007
hey everyone, i am new to this forum, how's it going?
newb to the kawi, is an impact wrench absolutely necessary to remove the big nut holding the clutch on?
is the big nut holding the clutch on a reverse thread?
as you can probably guess im having trouble getting it off. i have used a hand impact driver to remove it with ease on other quads. hope no locktite in there! thanks

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
An Impact Wrench NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I use a Strap Wrench on the Flywheel to keep the motor from turning while I loosing/tighten the nut. I use a LONG HANDLE RATCHET & a QUICK SMACK WITH A RUBBER MALLET

iamthecowboy

May 23, 2007
I would use a piece of clean rope in the cylinder. It will keep the engine from turning over as you loosen the bolt. There is most likely a flat washer bent over the bolt (to keep it from backing out). Bend this first, then look at the threads to see if they are left handed. I haven't seen a left handed thread in a very long time.

LucasR

Jun 8, 2007
its off, the plates are soaking right now. im putting an ebc heavy duty clutch in, if anyone has run this in theirs how many of the new springs did you use? im thinking 2 new and 2 old might be enough, 4 new the pull will be way too heavy. any suggestions on this are appreciated.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
All I have to say is don't stick anything through the fingers of the basket and try to jam the center hub. A friend tried this, I recieved a phone call shortly afterwards asking if I could weld a clutch basket.

LucasR

Jun 8, 2007
after a ride this afternoon the clutch functions great. there is an issue though. theres a knocking sound coming from the clutch, this sound goes away when i pull the clutch lever in. is this a bolt torque issue?

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
THE Noise!

If you search the threads you will find more on this noise than you will ever want to know! :blah: It's apparently caused by the play between the disk tabs and the basket fingers. There's not room, nor time for me to explain how I came to this conclusion but, do what I, and 100s' of other KDX owners do:
run a full quart of oil in the tranny to reduce the clatter and learn to live with the remaining noise. It is inherent in KDX clutches and causes no harm. Even with a Hinson basket and aftermarket disks it still remains.
It's only noticeable at idle. So Ride and enjoy! :ride:

LucasR

Jun 8, 2007
OldDirtKDX said:
If you search the threads you will find more on this noise than you will ever want to know! :blah: It's apparently caused by the play between the disk tabs and the basket fingers. There's not room, nor time for me to explain how I came to this conclusion but, do what I, and 100s' of other KDX owners do:
run a full quart of oil in the tranny to reduce the clatter and learn to live with the remaining noise. It is inherent in KDX clutches and causes no harm. Even with a Hinson basket and aftermarket disks it still remains.
It's only noticeable at idle. So Ride and enjoy! :ride:
thanks for the explanation, OldDirtKDX, i kinda figured it was there to stay after double checking everything. just a "nature of the beast" type thing i guess. well, thanks again!

Top Bottom