KDX220 Fredette upgrades

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I've rid'n 2 years on my 2003 220. I ride about 5 enduros and 5 dual sports each year along with some misc trail riding. I've been thinking about moving towards a KTM 250 EXC to get better suspension and higher quality components all around. However, thats probably a $4500 upgrade after selling the KDX.

Has anyone upgraded the 220 with Fredettes cylinder porting, head mod and carb bore? How about a shock re-valve? I'd be willing to try those if it will add significant performance. I'm also wodering if my fixation on the KTM is one of those "the grass is always greener" things, not sure.

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
fredette upgrades

I recently had Jeff Fredette port my 2001 kdx 220, bore the carb and had the head mod. I also installed a wiseco piston and rings and rev pipe at the same time. Compared to the stock 220 it really revs out good now and has a lot of top end, which it never had before. It's still not has quick as my 200 through the first three gears but after that it will blow it away. That was with a rider on my 200 that was 20 lbs lighter than I am. I also had new front springs installed as well as gold valves. I'm running Kenda Trakmaster II's front and rear and they work great here in the sand and hold up well on the road, both of my bikes are street legal. My bikes handle really well with this set-up but I've never rode a KTM so I don't have anything to compare them to. Hope this helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…