lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
The guy I bought it off of must have had the same problem because he had the idle set even higher than the idle screw all the way in by tightening up the throtle cable a bit.

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
I agree with Gearloose, something is definately not right, she should idle when warm, the KDX usually has a smooth transition of power throughout range, certainly the mildest transition two stroke I have ever riden? Do not get me wrong it still kicks ....!

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I have never owned a 2-stroke offroad bike so I can't compare. I wish there was someone around here that owned a KDX that could ride mine to see what they thought about it.

As far as the idling problem. I have cleaned the carb, have a good clean air filter and the reeds look great. Supposedly a topend rebuild was done right before I purchased it. What other areas should I look to? The only things I can think of is KIPs, but I am not sure what it would do if this was not working right.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Ok, I repacked the silencer tonight just to make sure that wasn't causing some kind of problem. Also, I noticed that around the area where the exhaust connects to the engine it is an oil/dirty mess. Is this normal or do I need to replace the o-rings and copper crush gasket in there? Also, is there anyway to check to make sure the KIPS is working ok without taking the engine apart? Someone told me I could take the round cap off on the left side of the engine and tell. But I took it off and all I saw was a little gear, a 10mm nut and some thick black oil. Should I be able to manually actuate this or would I have to remove the shaft advancer rod (the one with the left hand threads) before I can manually actuate the KIPs?

Last edited:

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I took the slotted cover off on the left side and revved up the bike and it would twitch but not move. So I took off the exhhaust on the cover over the left hand threaded nut on the right side and when I removed the nut, the main shaft actuated with ease. So either the actuator/governor rod that goes down in where the clutch is is damaged or not engaged properly because it is keeping the kips from engaging.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
My '91 was jetted so rich from the factory it couldn't rev high enough to actuate the kips.
y kips is older and diffrent so best look at the tips @ justkdx link i sent before.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
The person that had it before me had put the claw on incorrectly. When the vertical rod was at the relaxed state, the kips was engaged. when I revved the bike, it would try to force it to enage more but of course it couldn't because the horizontal rod was turned as far as it could. I put the claw in the correct position and it works now. I took the slotted cover off and I can see it engage when I rev the bike. However it engages quickly but disengages fairly slow when the revs go back down (maybe 1-2 seconds). Is this normal?

Top Bottom