oilsand

Sep 22, 2008
OK, I am almost giving up.

Background. My bike was slightly leaking rad fluid into the exhaust. seemed to be coming from a port near the exhaust so figured it was a base gasket. Otherwise running fine. So... changed base gasket, head gasket, put in new power reeds and reassembled. Now I cannot even get it to backfire.

1) new plug with lots of spark.
2) I cleaned the carb out, the float bowl has fuel, when I lean bike over to left it spits out fuel.
3) When I reassembled, everything went back together fine. Only place I may have messed up timing would be the exhaust actuactor shaft on right hand side of engine. The paint mark was not on gear for matching up, but there seemed to be only one way to put it together, the gear goes back and forth, not sure if that would be a problem. No other way I could have changed anything.
4) the fuel is only a couple months old, I will change tonight but you would figure it would at least fire a little bit.

Any comments?

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
oilsand said:
4) the fuel is only a couple months old
Hell no! Stick it in the car or something. I know others may disagree, but FRESH (and freshly mixed) fuel is always a must. I won't use fuel that's over a week old in my bikes. The fuel is probably not your problem but at least start with fresh stuff.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
3) When I reassembled, everything went back together fine. Only place I may have messed up timing would be the exhaust actuactor shaft on right hand side of engine. The paint mark was not on gear for matching up, but there seemed to be only one way to put it together, the gear goes back and forth, not sure if that would be a problem. No other way I could have changed anything.

there are very tiny dots on the gears for alignment. but basically if you make sure your kips valves are closed and then put the paw on the shaft coming up from the clutch cover all should be well

treelimb

Mar 10, 2010
you know i went thru a LONG spell of non riding,going over everything that could possibly make my bike not run- float adjusting until i could do it blindfolded,kips valve checking,crab cleaning, more carb cleaning,fresh premix,then all back over the same things again and again.I did keep looking at my reeds,I have the boyedson or whatever RAD valve set up,but i never pulled the RAd valve out to actually look at the reeds. i used a mirror to view them w/o taking them out.
My problem was a worn out / chipped /frayed/partially missing reed that I could not see until I FINALLY pulled the assembly out.
DUH. Head slap. Put stock reed assembly in and it was a first kick start. I have been riding the crap out of my bike w/the stock reeds to fully appreciate the RAD valve(w/BRAND NEW carbon fiber reeds or whatever the RAD valve uses) and plan on installing the rad valve in the near future. I am making up for lost ride time I reckon and have not stopped long enough to put the rad deal back in.I ride a 56-57 mile loop 2-3 times a week but plan on a 4 loop week now that work has slowed again.I'd rather ride and be broke it seems-
anyway.moral of the short story long-start w/the basics and don't be lazy in doing so.
happy trails

Top Bottom