Welcome to DirtRider.Net
FREE FORUM MEMBERSHIP and NO ADVERTISEMENTS.
TURN-OFF THE ADS!

KDX220 vs CRF250X vs WR250

I've ridden a wr250. It was fast, but not as fast as my kdx220. I think it did have better low end power though. That's what 4-strokes are good at. I read in DirtBike that the crfx has more low end but is slower than the wr on top. The wr and crfx are taller and have harder seats. Otherwise, I'm thinkin' these three machines are fairly close in performance. You may as well get the cheapest one!!!

Comparing the KDX to those two bikes is almost like comparing apples to oranges. The modern 4 strokes rule in all aspects of riding for the most part. I have been on alot of different bikes and I jsut got my KDX a week ago. I love it but it is no comparassion to a 4 stroke. Props to you for being able to ride that big heavy bike in the woods but the nice thing about those is that they are pretty forgiving. A smaller bike wont be as forgiving. A CRF 250 or WR 250 will have a smoother power band and are next to impossible to bog down. I heard some people say to get a CRF450 but if you aren't a VERY expirienced dirt rider I would stay away from that for awhile. I have ridden one several times and it is a wicked bike, but has so much power that it is not very forgiving. If price is an issue I would not hesitate one bit to grab a KDX. If price isn't an issue then I would opt for one of the 4 strokes.

Website
Visit site
The only week point to the KDX is its front forks. One option is to install KX forks. This makes a huge improvement and makes the handling gap smaller compared to the CRF and WR. This is what a KDX looks like with the KX fork conversion.

Fender008.jpg&hash=1a94be607c9f2435ea0948306e4cc1a4" aria-label="Zoom">

I have a KLR 650 2005 model which I have only taken on a trail once and will rather not do it again , the bike is very heavy and it is very difficult to impossible to lift the front wheel over puddles or obsticles . I have also bought a KDX 200 2006 which I love , it handles well pulls the KLR up to 100km/h and is so light , with mods like air box lid removed and pro circuit pipe it really goes well .
Why have you not considered a new 200 kdx ?

Website
Visit site
agree/disagree

I agree with 94formy about the fact the the WR and CRF-X are world class bikes, but I disagree with the smooth power statement, You don't get any smoother than a KDX when it comes to rolling the throttle, this bike doesn't bite, ever. Also, you will have more power available since 2-strokes make more power per CC than a 4-stroke (hence 250 4's racing in 125 class, etc.).
Then, all other things being equal, look at the cost of rebuilding a top end, if you don't flat out hammer the bike, the KDX will go 3 years at least w/ out a piston, it's simply not wound as tight as the new 4's.
The same riding considered on a 4, you'll need to keep valves adjusted, and rebuild your top end at a much higher price (valves, piston, time), also, you may not be able to do this yourself. Where a 2-stroke piston gets put on in around 3-hours in your garage, a 4 stroker is more intimidating and you may end up paying someone to do it.
One more thing, according to your very own riding style, what bike do you really need?

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

I guess being my second year owning a bike. Will I notice a difference between a $6,000 CRF250X and a $2500.00 KDX 200/220. I will probably dump this bike 100 times over the coming year.

How about an older 200? 1986 $1300 US asking price. Ad says good condition well maintained fast and fun.

I would prefer a newer bike, what wears out on these bikes in the way of seals, gaskets, etc.
1986 bike probably needs - fork seals, rear shock?

I have zero clue why someone would buy a new KDX when there are so many good used ones out there. Clearly someone has to do it to provide these fine used ones, so bravo to them!!

The prices really compress in the $1200-2000 range. Everything from good deals on 2001's at the top of that range to mid 80's bikes at the bottom end. The latter defies logic and the blue book (as no matter how good condition they're in, they are still 20 years old) but they seem to sell. I think if you look you'll find a nice 97/98 in the $1700 range.

There are just three in all of Alberta (there are over 3,000,000 of us) listed.
2001 $4200 CDN (3500 US)
2001 $3500 CDN
1986 $1300 CDN.

I can not belive the price difference on used stuff between the borders. I think I am too early in the season. However, lots of snow melting today. Today's snow is tomorrows mud.

I will sit and wait. I need to put new grips on the KLR anyway. Maybe that will scratch the itch.

Anyone taking the Alaska HWY trip?

darrylabrown said:
2001 $3500 CDN

Anyone taking the Alaska HWY trip?
Thats not terrible. Can you easily buy in the US and bring over the border, or does the govt tax you up the wazoo?

When is the Alaska trip? URL?

Tony

Website
Visit site
The worst thing that can happen is this: you just pulled up to the trail head, bike gassed up, cooler full of beer for the weekend, your kids or friends with you, and something breaks because your bike is just too old. Then you are hauling your ride out of the woods tethered to someone's 4-wheeler with a yellow tow-strap, done, weekend is over, and all your friends are still riding. So don't get one so old that it starts breaking down a lot, then you are scouring the internet for weeks trying to find obsolete parts, only to buy some wore out piece of crap someone sells because they are parting out their old bike on the count they can't get parts for it anymore. IMO buy at least a '95 or newer one, at least they still make it and you can buy parts easily.

I know this has probably been debated to death..... However, I have narrowed my bike search down to three bikes:

I am 38 years old, got my first bike last year KLR650, weight 160, will be riding trails mostly, lots of mud & hills.

1) KDX220 2001 like new $3500 CDN
2) WR250 2006 brand new $6400 CDN
3) CRF250X 2006 brand new $6900 CDN

I would love to have the money to just go buy the CRF and be done with the choice. I think the KDX is a good choice for the riding I will be doing, maintenance, etc.

There is only one of the three bikes for sale in the used market right now. I think the KDX is priced a little high.

What do you guys think? I am not scared of changing valve shims, or replacing a top end.

Thanks
id have to go with the new crf

Find PARTS, TOOLS & GEAR Close-outs and Deals from multiple dealer inventories.
Try It!