KDX220 vs KDX250 vs Suzuki RMX250

dbc105

Mar 5, 2007
I am looking to move up around 10 to 15 years from a '80 Suzuki PE400 to something a little lighter, with disc brakes, mono shock, etc... the 400 is a good bike, tons of torque, pretty good ride, I just pleasure ride so it does pretty good but I like riding in the woods and at 5'10" it is a bit much to handle on the side of a steep hill in the woods with the ground covered in pine straw. I weight about 240 so I still need good power. this, cost and what I have read on this board have brought me to these selections. about the only practical difference I see between the RMX and KDX250 really is the color. I know one is a Kaw and the other a Suzuki but they are very similar bikes and both seem to offer about the same advantages and same power. I'm thinking a mid '90 250 will run about as hard as my '80 400 so I should be happy there. how will the 220 stack up against the other 2? with my weight should I even consider a 220? I have read the 200 vs 220 thread and the riding I do I think out of the 2 bikes the 220 with the suggested mods would be the choice of the 2. anyone around North West Alabama(Florence) have either of these bikes for a real live comparison? I need to hold cost down is why I have not looked at the later year 4 strokes. we are planning to go up to Westpoint, Tn in a couple of weeks and check it out. if anyone rides up there regular let me know, I would like to get to know more riders in my area.
Thanks for a great board.
David Clark

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '91 - '94 KDX250s can be made to perform well, but the stock fork settings and carb jetting, and seating position are poor. There are a few other tricks to make it perform and handle well. These bikes did not sell well and got bad reviews from the magazines, so you can usually get them pretty cheap. The motors are reliable and have good low end power. For a 250 two stroke, they are pretty heavy. FWIW, I had a well set up KDX250 for 5+ years. For riding in the moutnains, I liked it better than any of my KDX200's, mainly because of the extra power.

I've only ridden a 220 once, and that was about a decade ago. Stock to stock, it's better than a KDX250 due to lighter weight and more modern frame, but the 250 responds very well to mods.

The later years RMX have similar motor power to the KDX250, but feel lighter and have better suspension. I would lean toward the newest and best condition RMX you can afford. One of my buddies (Placelast) had two of them, and they were very fun and reliable trail bikes.

Jan 3, 2007
dbc105, you might want to consider a WR200 and WR250 2 strokes. There in the same class and they were the best do it all bike as far as i see. They had more power then a modifyed KDX250 stock. The only bad part is that they are hard to come by. Just opening up you options.

dbc105

Mar 5, 2007
I'm would be all for the WR250 if I can find one with a reasonable price. you are right, they most be good bikes as no one seems to sell them and the few I have seen for sell have been over double what the KDX or RMX cost. did Honda have anything in this type/size bike?

DC

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some of the two stroke WR250s were rocket ships. Basically a YZ motor with big tank, WR gear box and 18" rear wheel. Great bike if you can find one.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Look for a newer model bike. Parts become harder to obtain on the older ones. 240lbs on a 220 may be a bit too much for the motor. I am around 235lbs. with full gear on my 220 & it pulls me every where, BUT, the engine & carb have been modified & it is not the mild mannered stock KDX220. You may want to look at a KX, RM or YZ that has been modified for the woods or look for a KDX that has either been modified by Fredette or RB Designs.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
I like my RMX way better than the KDX220, but it might just be I have more miles on my RMX. :nod:

Also, the KDX220 is pretty much stock other than the pipe, and the RMX has had the suspension set up for me.

The RMX is faster, and handles better ( to me ) than the KDX220, even though the KDX is 13 years newer!

I do like the KDX, I'm just partial to the RMX.

Rotor

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Maybe this helps, maybe this doesn't...

I had the same questions. I wanted a nice torquey motor but better ergonomics and suspension. The WR250 are hard to find and harder to find parts for. They are also KDX like in terms of ergonomics and Geometry. A longer more open bike MX style is what I wanted but not an MX bike. I wanted ground clearance but 125 suspension was a little light, I wantd 18" rear but 21" front. Lots of issues and KTM's were an option but the price and mainenance was an issue and if you ever sat on a KTM200, you'd think the KDX was a huge and open cockpit. That thing is tiny. The 250's too.

So I layed out what I wanted and I discovered what I wanted was just not available as a bike but it was available in parts. So I built it.

I used an 02 KX125 with 99 KX250 suspension and KDX200 motor. It is the greatest trail bike ever made.

Picture004Small.jpg

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
nice bike you built there ebeck. I wouldn't mined doing the same thing so day. Maybe some day I'll find a RMZ 250 with a shot motor and try my RMX engine in the that.
dbc105 I like my RMX my buddy just bought a KDX 220 that has been ported, FMF pipe and carb work done. It works great too. The KDX is a 6 speed and the RMX is a 5 speed. There is more power to be found if you do buy a stock KDX or RMX.
Another bike you should think about is a KTM 300 exc.
There is a WR 250 for sale in my area and it's $1900 but it's a little to far away for you to consider.

Last edited:

dbc105

Mar 5, 2007
Great help guys. Good looking bike ebeck. I was leaning toward the RMX but just because I liked the look of it. I have not ridden one. nor have I ridden a KDX220 or a late model KDX250. my stepbrother has an '80 KDX250 so I know what the older bikes are like. he is looking to move to a later model also. he only weighs 185# so a 220 might be a good choice for him. one with a pipe and a larger carb would probably run better than the '80 he has now on the bottom and top ends. I am see RMX & KDX selling from $750 to $1750 so they are priced right. thanks for all the input, it sure helps to find out from someone that owns one.

David

Top Bottom