Speedstyle

Jul 5, 2000
What would be better for trail riding, mostly woods riding in michigan? I am 18 years old, 150 pounds. However my dad would probably ride it too and he is a big guy. If price doesnt matter which would you buy for a beginner that wants to learn/grow on a bike.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I love both bikes but I think the KLX is easier to ride, it has smoother power delivery and turns slightly better. The KLX might not suite your dad as well depending on how big he is, I weigh 180 and have no problems with either bike.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
For you, don't overlook the 200 :)
Lots of grow-with-go-faster-parts available, start stock and crank it up later.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
My friend used to have a KLX.I got to ride it a few times.Its a pretty nice trail bike.It wasn't for me though.ALso by watching my friend jump this bike 6..7 ft. I learned it wasn't the best jumper either.Personally I would go with the KDX, but thats me.Boy could my friends dad ride wheelies forever on the KLX.:cool:

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
KLX heavy, slow, footpegs drag in ruts,.... try to start it after a crash

KDX light, fast (compared to a KLX), nimble and you can start it with your hand

Last edited:

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by JCV 220R
KLX heavy, slow, footpegs drag in ruts,.... try to start it after a crash

KDX light, fast (compared to a KLX), nimble and you can start it with your hand

I have to disagree with some of this. Heavy? The bike is heavier that the KDX, but is much lighter than many other 4-strokes in it's class. Actually it is known as one of the best handling bikes - ever.

Slow? It is no slower than a stock KDX. It also has that smooth power delivery.

I've heard the low footpegs complaint before. It's strange that I have ridden my KLX on some pretty rutted out trails with no real problems with ground clearance.

The starting issue is also blown out of proportion, in my opinion. Of course a 4-stroke is "harder" to start when compared to a 2-stroke. It's a different technique. I was worried to death about all the hard-starting KLX stories I heard when I bought mine. I truthfully have had very little trouble starting it - even after a fall. It's all technique.

I believe the question you need to answer is - Do I want a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. There are many advantages and disadvantages to both... Ask the same question in Thumper Central and see what happens. ;)

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by JimmyD2

Actually it is known as one of the best handling bikes - ever.

All I have to say is: take a KTM for a rip ;)

The KLX 300 is a nice trail bike. I have ridden them and a KDX will flat smoke a KLX any time, any place. I have never seen one that started well. I have nothing against KLX's I just think a KDX is a better bike. You know what they say about opinions....

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
KLX is the same except its a four stroke with better handeling smoother power and better suspension(no under hang). The KLX would be even if not faster then the 220 stock in a drag race, or a woods race. I had a KDX but upgraded to a klx and it was an upgrade. I say KLX and i have had both bikes so i know.

Top Bottom