KDX2220 Governor Shaft/Lever

Daaj65

Oct 12, 2007
Dug into clutch area looking for some rub/failure. Have been experiencing major marble-sounding rattle, combined with serious engine bog and shut off. Kinda new to the bike internals, so bare with me. The internal lever on the very end of the governor shaft (opposite the toothed lever that operates the power valve sprocket) was darn near sheared in half and the pin on the lever was bent over at a 45-degree. I am pretty certain this bent pin was rubbing the gears there. From my observations, the pin on the end of this lever positions itself in a spaced gap on a shaft just above the water pump shaft assembly. Also this shaft has a spring on inside. I believe this assembly moves back and forth which in turn rotates the shaft which in turn turns the power valve sprocket. I can do all this manually by observation. But what causes this shaft/spring assembly to go back and forth to rotate this Governor Shaft?? And I am wondering has this almost severe failure of this shaft lever and its obvious dislodging from its intended position be a major contributing factor to my bike having a bog so bad it won't run. I think I have found the rattling problem.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The pin goes into the grooved area of the centrifugal spring. Inspect the KIPS from the top down. I suspect the components in the Cylinder/Head area are seized. And YES, the bike will run like CRAP..Once you get everything fixed, it'll be like riding a NEW BIKE

Daaj65

Oct 12, 2007
Thanks. Have replaced the part. Figured that out. Still chasing horrible rattle and engine kill/bog. Can't even run long enought to get out of garage. Going after KIPS valve remove and cleanse in the cylinder head as suggested. Can't believe it would be low end main bearing, but sounds like it. Had that happen on RM250, but bike still screamed.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The RATTLE is a CHARACTERISTIC OF THE KDX...Also, make sure you use a Wrench (KIPS CLAW) next time & remember it's a reverse Nut/Thread..
Check the KIPS COMPONENTS in the Cylinder........If One component was sheared, then that is the result of a problem....The KIPS in the cylinder may very well be seized

Daaj65

Oct 12, 2007
Thanks. Bet I'm not the only one to realize TOO LATE about that darn reverse thread nut. Duh!!! Won't do that again. $7.00 part 'bout caused major damage.

Anyway, soon with look at KIPS in cylinder. Appreciate it!

Top Bottom