bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys, I'm in the process of dual sporting my 1991 KDX250. I just installed the tusk enduro kit, which has a hi/low beam switch. Any ideas where to get a dual filament bulb that would fit into the stock headlight housing. I checked ebay, couldn't find anything there. Thanks.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
PM replied to.

Does the 250 use an H6M based bulb like the 200/220's do? If so, it should already be a dual filament bulb. If you can, take a picture of the base of the bulb (contact area) and another pic of the connector plate (contact area as well) that locks the bulb in place. You give me those two things and I can get you moving in the right direction.

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Yes, I got it from rocky mountain ATV. It's a real nice kit, relatively easy install. The hardest part was modifying the fender so it looked good, and finding a spot for the battery. The schematics were easy to follow, and everything worked like it should. Like I said, the only missing 'piece' is a hi/low beam bulb. The enduro kit supplied the switch.

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Here are the photos. I found a dual filament bulb. Now, how do I wire it to my hi/low switch?

DSC08145.jpg

DSC08146.jpg

DSC08147.jpg

DSC08148.jpg

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
OK, in your first pic you see the contact plate. On the backside of it is where you need to solder on an additional wire. It sounds like you already did that, yes?

I also noticed you said you are running a battery. Are you running the headlight AC or DC?

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Yes, I did figure out where to solder the wire, but where do I run it to, to get power. I tried splicing into the power going to the other filament, but all I eneded up doing was running both filaments at the same time (and yes I did go thru the hi/low switch). I don't know what I did wrong. If somebody could draw me a simple schematic, that would be great. And yes the battery I'm running is for the Tusk enduro kit, it is not recharged by the bike. Not sure if it's DC or AC (but I'm assuming DC). Thanks.

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Yep, I had those, they came with the kit. Like I said, I'm not sure how to supply power to the second filament. When I got power to it, all I ended up doing was lighting up both filaments, whether I had it on hi or low. What wire (from the bike) supplies power to the second filament.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
The wire that fed power to the original filament should go into the switch. There should be three individual wires on the switch, BLACK, WHITE, and DARK BLUE. You need to hook the original power wire to the BLACK wire on the switch. Then run the WHITE wire to the low beam connector on the headlight and run the DARK BLUE to the high beam connector. It really is that simple.

Top Bottom