wildturkey

Nov 12, 2003
Hi guys,

I have a kdx250 and its a ******* to start initially, im new to 2 strokes and i seem to be flooding it i think???
Im not sure if you need to hold the throttle open more than half way but it eventially works that way,any tips would be appreciated.
thanks
George

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
If the top end is worn it will be a bitch to start. Check your reeds too. Also, look at your plug. Jetting definitely affects starting. When was the last time you cleaned the carb out? It could be that when the choke is on, it isnt affecting anything because the choke circuit is plugged. Take the carb apart and spray thru all jets and orifices with air/carb cleaner. Hope that helps!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The KDX's I've owned want NO throttle when starting.  My drill is turn the gas and choke on.  Lay the bike over on its left side for a few seconds.  This gets gas dripping out the overflow tube and helps prime the carb.  Kick the engine over gently a few times to further start drawing some nice explsove fuel vapors into the cylinder (but don't open the throttle).

Raise the kick lever to the top, and slowly move it throug the stroke to find top dead center (the motor will get harder to move as it gets near the top of the compression stroke.  Go a little past TDC. By doing this, the motor has a chance to build up as much speed as possible before the next compression stroke.

Raise the lever and kick it as hard as you can.  DO NOT give it throttle.  In fact, put your right hand on the cross bar so you don't inadvertantly twist the throttle.  If you have a fresh plug and good gas and the bike is still difficult to start, it could well be a worn top end, as mentioned above.

Another possibility on older KDX's is the stator degrades and you have a weak spark.  The problem gets worse and worse until it's impossible to cold start with the kicker.  The stator can be replaced or rewound. 

Do you know if the previous owner was having starting difficulty?

wildturkey

Nov 12, 2003
Thanks for all the info guys, I just tried what you mentioned and it started in 10 attempts so its a lot better without throttle. but another problem i have come across is that the kickstarter (internal gear) must have worn teeth as if i crank it hard it does not engage but if i crank it ultra slow and it grabs then it cranks.....is this a major job to do/replace?

Top Bottom