kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Good evening all and greetings from Manila!

I have a 1992 KDX250SR (F2) and I have a couple questions that I'd appreciate some feedback on...

#1. I have a somewhat loud sounding rattle in the motor. It is not the regular "KDX sound"... I do have that, too, and it changes if I pull the clutch lever in and out. This noise kind of rattles and increases with engine speed. It also seems to be "amplified" by the chassis components, so I can hear the sound every where!

A friend thought the rings were shot, so I did a compression check on the bike. 1st kick=100psi 2nd kick=125psi 3rd kick=150psi 4th and subsequent kicks=170psi

That sounded quite reasonable to me. Any further thoughts about tracking down the source of noise?

#2. The cases on the SR model are apparently different that a US model. I think a US model says to put 800ml of oil in it, mine says (on the case) 700ml. There is also another peculiar thing I found on my motor.

On the bottom of the engine there is a small "D" shaped hole that is about 2 inches behind the drain plug. It is right where the case halves meet. The hole looks "machined"... it definitely does not look like the result of smacking into something. The edges are clean and crisp all around the "D"... and the hole is only on one case half.

If I put the entire quart/liter of oil in the case (as promoted on this site) I get weepage from that hole after each ride. Only a half teaspoon at the most, then it stops...

If the hole goes directly into the crankcase it would completely drain the oil... but it doesn't... is this some kind of over flow put into the case? Seems odd to me...

Once when there wasn't oil weeping from the hole, I explored the hole with a piece of SS wire and I found it to be dry with some dirt particles attached to the wire when I pulled it out...

Before you write me off as a lunatic, let me tell you, I am not kidding...Any ideas? If you happen to have a KDX250SR (must be an SR model) would you please look under your bike and tell me if you have a hole? Thanks.

Sorry to have created such a lost post, but I anxiously await your replies.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Come on guys... help me out here

Anyone out there with a KDX250SR?... Take a look under your bike and report back to me... What about those compression readings & noise?

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
No such hole on mine...

Here is a pic so you can compare.

1989 KDX200SR (Same engine as yours)

kdxcase.jpg

Let me know if the location is not visable in this picture.

Top Bottom