KDX50 mods

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
First Post, first off A big thanks to all who helped put together the 2nd gear mod info ......I have just done the mod to my sons KDX50 and what a difference it has made .....the bike has been completly transformed......i was going to put an 11 tooth cog on the front but now i think i will go bigger 14 or 15 , now that is has some low down grunt in first I might play around with a bigger front cog and see if we can get some top end aswell...

So now I am looking for more power mods to get this little bike to rocket.....I have heard that these 50cc engines are seriously detuned and with the right modification they will scream....

So I am thinking about taking the head and getting it shaved , Is there any gains to be made with this mod? I was thinking maybe 20 or 30thou of the chamber and run 100ron fuel might get me a bit more compression?
What about the carb , can any mods be made to the carb to see more power , I know the YZ50's from the late70's early 80's used to scream along ..,....

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
take the muffler off and gut it, undo the screws holding the internals of the silencer inplace and remove them alltogether , its a wonder these things even run with this huge restriction .

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
I took the head of the boys kdx50 last night and I'm going to put it in today to have the lip shaved off the head which should increase compression up a fair bit ,hopefully the machinist will be able to give me an exact figure.....
Over here our premium pump gas is BP 98octane or shell 100 octane so i shouldnt need to use any octane booster

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
well my young bloke went out for his first run on the track on sunday , he did his 5 hours accreditation to get his racing licence and he has wrecked the kdx 50 in the4 process , he has literally beaten the **** out of it lol.....bent swing arm along with 4 broken front spokes and about 10 bent spokes.....

the official testing him at the club told me to get him on a KTM pro senoir sx50 or similar ASAP.....So the little KDX for now has been retired to the back of the shed until i get around to buying the new parts for it and selling it on and in its place last night we have bought him a 2004 senior pro KTM 50.......which I have to say is an absolute animal compared to the KDX..

Infact you cannot compare it to the KDX at all, this KTM Senior Pro is a full on race bike and has huge power......

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Those things happen when you over use a little bike like that. Happens with a lot or regularity on "pit bikes" when big kids hammer the little XR/CRF50's and the like.

You should like the little KTM just fine. We ran one for a few years and it was much better at taking abuse than the PW50 that preceeded it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…