KDX's with KX forks or Hybrid

snwwlkr

Jul 18, 2012
KDX's with KX forks or Hybrid.. Reviews or test rides????

Just curious. I read a lot about doing the Kx125 fork mod to the KDX but I haven't read any real serious reviews/test of how much better it is then say a mediocre modified KDX stock fork in a real world trail riding situation. Does anyone know where such a review is? They look cool and the idea seems sound and must be better but, ??? Also I would love to read a good review on how the KDX/KX125 (KDX motor in KX frame) hybrid feels in a real world trail situation comparison. I also think the only true way to compare would be to have the bikes present to ride on at the same day. Back to back. Riding your modified bike months later after the work has been done isnt really that revealing.

Last edited:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I sold a bback-up 220 to a buddy who subequently put on the KX forks. Made a big difference. After riding his for a while, got back on mine and felt like I was 'herding' it down the trail.
Now I'm putting the finishing touches on my own hybrid. 220 motor and rear swing arm into an '03 KX 250 frame. Most everything else is off an '03 KX 125.
I've ridden it around the yard, next I'll put everything back together permanent.
Been too hot, so it may be a while before I finish the project...

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I have the KX rear rim with Tubliss system I may try to get on the bike, somehow. Foam insert on front.
KDX lowering links on now, standard links will raise the back a bit. I'll play that by the seat of my pants.

Last edited:

snwwlkr

Jul 18, 2012
Nice.. Is that a KX front rim? You use the word "herding" LOL.. That about sums it up. If I had to say the KDX has one weak spot I would say front fork. After going from a 2001 KDX220r to a 99 GasGas EC200 yrs ago I felt the GG was light yrs ahead of the KDX in handling on rough trail, mostly due to the front fork. My GG did have the older Marzooki front forks but they still killed the KDX... Now yrs later I'm searching for another KDX as I'm wanting a cheap, sweet, dependable, manageable trail bike. Always had a spot for the KDX. If the KX front fork makes major changes I would be in heaven...

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
"If the KX front fork makes major changes I would be in heaven..."

IMHO, the forks make the bulk of the difference.

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
I am also keen on doing the front fork mod but after extensive research many kdx guys are saying that if you ride trails only the revalved kdx fork is better suited for trail performance.You would have to revalve the mx fork in any case with oil etc...
do a search that was just my findings

Top Bottom