jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Hi, I have an 84' CR250 that I got with a blown top end, I had it bored over and I put in a new wiseco top end, new reeds, and new honda gaskets. After riding it for a few minutes it started steaming from the exhaust and stalled. I thought maybe I had got some dirt or something on the gasket surface, so I carefully put in a new moose racing gasket. The moose gasket worked great for a few months and I thought it was fixed until I took it to the dunes, blown head gasket again. This time, I had the head and cylinder surfaced. I put it all back together with a honda gasket and it blew the gasket first ride. The honda shop told me to torque the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. does this sound right? I can't figure it out, any help is greatly appreciated.

colbyc28

Dec 1, 2006
Did you use a torque wrench the three previous times? If so, what did you torque them to? I know that in my manual, it says to torque them... then after a few minutes of run time... come back and check them with the torque wrench again.

jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Yes, I torqued them to 20 lbs, then rode it gently until it was hot, then torqued them again. I was thinking about coating the gasket in high temp silicone. I also have a yz490, and I can see where the previous owner used high temp silicone on the head gasket, and that bike doesn't have any problems.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i don´t know if that model have a head stay that holds the engine to the frame... if it has watch out about the frame may twist in a jump or something and push the head...

jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Yes, I just ordered a new gasket. I think I'm going to try the copper spray, and also leaving the head mount unhooked. I don't care if it makes the bike vibrate a little more. I think the studs are original, should I tighten to a few more ft. lbs. than the manual says?

Top Bottom