kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
I have an 85 kx 250.
The bike was running perfectly for around half an hour.I stopped for a break and when i took off again i went up to fifth gear no problem but when i went to gear down it would not go below 4th.
I took the clutch cover off and the clutch to access the shifter mechanism and noticed that one of the posts had broken off the drum shifter,thats the clover leaf shaped piece with 6 posts around it that the shifting forks rotate to shift gears.
I ordered a new one and decided to yank the engine,split the case and examine the tranny.The tranny seemed totally fine,i inspected both stacks of gears for anything unusuall and found nothing.I could turn the drum in its full cycle by hand and found nothing that could be causing any siezing or anything,so i just figured that the post broke off due to age or fatigue of being 20 years old.
So i put everything back together and installed the new drum shifter dealy and took it for a small test drive down my street(my neighbors LOVE me) It shifted through all gears no problem.
I went to the local riding area and exactly the same thing happenned,i rode for about a half hour,had a break,took off and it happenned again :( exactly as it did before.
I took the clutch cover and clutch out to see the post broken off again,the same one and everything.

What is going on??

anyone?
Thanks in advance

kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
Hmmmmmm
15 people have read my post and no one has an answer.
Guess i stumped the experts :laugh:

anyone have an idea why this is happenning so i can fix it.
Thanks

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have heard of them breaking from the chain being too tight, but I suspect that if you can split the cases you can probably adjust a chain properly....Is anything scored showing signs that something may have hit it? Could the clutch basket be moving in slightly under a load such that it could hit it? Is it hard to shift when riding?

good luck

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
bikepilot said:
I have heard of them breaking from the chain being too tight, but I suspect that if you can split the cases you can probably adjust a chain properly....Is anything scored showing signs that something may have hit it? Could the clutch basket be moving in slightly under a load such that it could hit it? Is it hard to shift when riding?

good luck

:cool: Good post. I was going to input, but you are much nicer than I. :laugh:

Top Bottom