RM Deamon

Aug 30, 2005
I have a 1998 Suzuki RM 250. Recently I have had problems with the keihin pwk carb leaking fuel out of the overflow. I took the carb off and readjusted the floats and cleaned all the jets, reinstalled and the same problem.
I took the carb off and took it to a suzuki shop and they told me the needle seat was wore out and could not be replaced, I would need a new carb.
So I bought a brand new Keihin carb put it on and it does the EXACT same thing! I took the bowl off and checked and readjusted the floats again and it still does the same thing.
Helppp what am I missing?

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
Hello . I would take a look at the inside of your tank ,maybe it has some dirt that stuck the needle open on your new carb. Does the float bowl have any crud in it when you remove it? I assume you got a complete new carb. If you are re-using your old floats I would make sure the are not gas filled. Here is a tip I have used on saving many carbs and seats. Take a Q-tip and cut one end off and put it in a cordless drill. Take and put a small amount of simi-chrome polish on Q-tip and use drill to lightly polish the seat

RM Deamon

Aug 30, 2005
Yes I got a complete new carb Keihin 38mm pwk air striker. I did have small amounts of crud in the bowl when I opened the new carb. I looked in the tank and nothing. It almost looks like the black specs I see are the rubber from the inside of the gas line deteriorating?
I am going to replace the gas line and reclean the carb and try again. The floats and everything were all brand new bought from mrcycles.com. It came complete I just bolted it to the bike. It was fine until after I ran the bike a while then the gas started pouring out and now every time I turn the gas on after a few seconds it pours out the overflow.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I know you say you adjusted the float height but with a new carb (assuming the seat and needle are OK) the only reason for fuel to flow out the overflow hose is because the float is adjusted to high (or low?). In any case, the float isn't closing the valve before the fuel level reaches the overflow tube.

I'd recheck the float height. I don't know what the correct setting is but my bike has a 38 Keihn and I believe the float height is the same. I'll check the manual tonight and let you know.

Top Bottom