pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Ok, try your best to keep the quad-bashing at bay please, just this time I promise.
I have a Suzuki '86 LT250R. FMF pipe and silencer, no airbox, and K&N filter w/ outerwear as far as I know. I put a Keihin PJ 34mm carb on it from an '84 CR125. The stocker was a Mikuni 34mm, with a 190 main jet in it, and a jet needle that is a bit larger in circumference than the one in the Keihin.
The Keihin says PJ 04A[A]YG. The main jet is a 142, the jet needle is an R1470N.
The thing runs like crap now, and I want to get a ball-park figure on settings, even just going larger or smaller and on what.
It does not idle anymore. It smokes a whitish color under no load, once the gas is on it clears up. It runs like crap now, its doggy all over, but especially in the low end.
To me it seems like a lean condition, I'm running somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1, I'm not sure I didn't mix the gas this time, but I'm going to do it accurately myself ASAP. Like I said, white smoke and no idle point to a lean condition to me, but the doozy is the plug.
I pulled the plug and it was dark and wet, a rich condition. :coocoo: I tried every external adjustment to no avail. Someone help me out please!!!

Thank You

Jamie

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sounds rich to me... But, what do I know...

If you have the jets to play with it, I'd start on the pilot.. start leaning it out a bit to see what happens to the idle.

Then once you have that in the ballpark, start messin with the main.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
When you say to lean out the pilot, does that mean get a couple numbers higher or lower?

And what do you mean about the coolant leak? Like an air leak in the system? I don't believe that I have an actaul leak because it sits in the garage and the floor beneath it is clean.

Top Bottom