dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
my 88 kdx200 has a kehihn pwk 35 carb. it badly needs a rebuild. is there a simpler carb i can replace it with? i have an 86' carb as well.

i can't seem to find a rebuild kit for it i've looked everywhere.

also the rubber boot is pretty cracked. whats the trick to fixing that with gasket sealer or something? '

by the way i'm not looking for power. it already has ALOT. i ride pretty slow and cautious. so i want the simplest fix that will make my piston and everything remain in good shape?

i just want the stock settings and run like 30:1 maybe to keep everything in good shape. again my goal is simplicity and reliability. not power

oh and i ordered boyesen power reeds and a DG pipe and silencer

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
That's the best carb you can get for it.

You can buy Keihin parts from Sudco or other places.

With the new reeds and DG pipe and silencer, you will be getting more power.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You have a slide, needle, needle jet, pilot jet, main jet, idle screw and air screw. Any 2t carb is going to have the same components. Your 86 probably has the mikuni, but it isn't any more "simple" really.

Aftermarket rebuild kits for keihin and mikuni carbs are generally junk. You just need to order the correct jets, float valve, clean the carb, and install the new pieces.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
i basically want it all stock besides the pipe and reeds. so it will last as long as possible again even if it costs a little bit of power, i dont mind it has more than enough

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Proactively, I think you can periodically treat the rubber bits with silicone spray lubricant (at Wal Mart) and they will last much longer. Once they get stiff and start to crack though, I think that is a one way ticket. I got a spare used carb to airbox boot for my 95 and soaked it with silicone spray, sealed it in ziplock, and put it in deep dark storage for the "someday" when my current one gets brittle.

I'm assuming you can still get factory parts, even for an 88. I could get parts for my 85 KLR-250 no problem... they were just expensive. The carb to airbox boot is probably one you are stuck buying retail. But you can probably kludge the carb to intake boot. That being said, and having tried to do it unsucessfully on my KLR, it's probably not worth the time and trouble. Pay though the nose for the Kawasaki parts and keep them siliconed up and enjoy them for the next 20 years.

My carb has a worn slide and broken throttle cable sleeve... I've been looking for good deals and there isn't much out there. Good used carbs are $100 and up. You can buy the parts, but last time I looked, just my slide (a key wear item) was $150... more then a good used carb. You could probably fit a bunch of different carbs on the bike and just dial in the jetting, but that is hard enough when you start with a bunch of known quantities on the stock carbs. Trying to dial in a carb with a bunch of unknowns would be a nightmare. You could probably getting it running easy enough, but getting it really sorted out could take person years of effort.

IMHO. :)

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
yikes. i just want the stock settings. the boot is in decent shape.

i was putting it all back together and lost the clips hold the piston pin in!!!! idk what to do

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Do you mean the clip that holds the needle at the correct height in the air valve (also commonly called the slide)?

You could probably order that from kawasaki, or *maybe* find it at a better hardware store.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
you get what u pay for, take the plunge...

If your slide is damaged,( corroded, worn, plating missing or pealing off)
spend the bucks to replace it with the exact o e m part, regardless of any cost comparison to used parts. The fit up of the slide is where all of the good tune job starts.(it's a precision air valve, if you will... fit up into the carb body is critical, if it leaks air around it any tuning you do will not be reliable or consistent). As for losing parts? prior to doing any work, set up & prep the area, (clean work surface, covered with white butcher paper, good lighting, zip-lock bags or plastic bowls for the small parts, carb cleaner, some compressed air, the proper literature or manual for your carb.) Since this device controls the speed & performance & safety of your ride & you, if your not willing or able to do this correctly, find & pay a pro to do it for you. It sounds like the air filter needs replacing, the first victim of dirt getting thru is the slide, next is your engine. Good luck, Best Regards, Porkchop...

Top Bottom