mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
Has anyone tried out Kenda Milville tires? If so how are they for intermediate conditions? How's the sizing, i.e., do they run small like Maxxis tires? Durability? Thanks :thumb:

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I used them for about 10 rides. They were OK/Good in intermediate when new, but seemed to lose their grip when they wore a little. I recall a 3rd gear straight where the rear wheel would break loose and spin - on a 125! It was really loose stuff but I did not expect that.

On hard pack I thought they slid way too much. I replaced them with Pirelli MT32.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I agree ... real skatey on hardpack and they wore pretty fast. I was kinda bummed 'cause the price was great.

Tell you what - the Kenda 257D rear is an excellent hardpack tire, wears well, is just fine in softer stuff, and is cheap ! You'll be surprised ....

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they wear out pretty quick. I'll probably go with some Maxxis Maxx Cross IT's. I hear that they are pretty durable and have good grip.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Isn't the Kenda Millville the tire that is both soft and intermediate. Turned one way the knobs are soft, turn it around and the tire is now intermediate. So if you got it on soft than I can see how you would not do so well on hard pack, i.e. tire breaking loose and a skatey feeling.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ive got a set of Maxxis IT on one of my bikes but i cant wait to get them off.

the back grips well in well soft dirt, but is a bit skatey when the track dries. as for the front, its terrible it constantly has a washout feeling- i only ride begginner and i could tell night and day difference between the IT and the Bridgestone 201 front

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have been running the Michelin S12 on both front and rear and love them. I ride on everything from mud to groomed to hardpan. The only place I lose traction is on really rocky trails. But then I haven't found anything that works well on that. The S12 really shines on hillclimbs, plenty of bite to keep the momentum up. They also wear like iron.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Spectra..it is a directional tire, soft and intermediate. I had mine mounted for intermediate - I ride in a variety of conditions, try to avoid the concrete variety of hard pack.

The front knobs on the Milleville are tall and thin, but no supporting ribs. On hard pack, they fold easy. If you ever look at the Mt32, they are tall, thin and widely spaced for loose stuff, but have supporting ribs so they don't fold. The MT32 works good except for very hard pack, where they will start chunking.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Millville tires seem to wear fast. If Kenda is what you want to buy check out the Track Master 2 tire,If they sill have that tire. They lasted fairly well on my 500. Has anyone tried the Carlsbad Tire made by Kenda??? I have also heard good things about the Mich. S12 tires.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have run the Carlsbad and the Michelin S12 back to back and have found the S12 superior in every way. The Carlsbad had excellent traction and decent wear at first. But after first rounding the knobs a little, traction disappeared. The S12, on the other hand, has kept it's edge quite well, and as it is slowly wearing, it still gives great traction in a wide variety of terrain. I will definitely be buying another when this wears out. My riding buds are switching to the S12 after seeing the traction and long lasting qualities of this tire.

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
darringer said:
have found the S12 superior in every way......

darringer,

Thanks for the reply regarding the S12's. I was talking with an old vet today that had good things to say about them as well. I've heard that the Michelin sizing is funky. What size are you running on the rear? How's the tire at Carnegie?

-mylesc

Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Mylesc, run 130/70-19. The tire works very well at Carnegie. It gives great traction for hillclimbing. I've had no knob chunking, either. The only place that the tire loses some traction is on the dust-covered-hardpan. Seems only a trials tire works on that stuff. The S12 for the front also works well, which kinda surprised me because of the tall knobs. these tires hold up better than any I've tried at rock infested Carnegie.

Top Bottom