KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Go past Jawbone turnoff.
Go past Redrock.
Go past 178 on the left.
Go past 178 on the right.
14 becomes 395, keep going.
Gas station(s) on the right at Pearsonville (hubcap capital of the world) is the last gas stop before you go up the hill.
Turn left off highway at Kennedy Meadows turnoff - a few miles past gas station, it is signposted and you will see the hill road on the left.
Go up the hill.
Go past the BLM fire station on right.
Stay on sealed road which winds along for a while.
Go past "Welcome to Kennedy Meadows" sign
At the General Store turn left towards Blackrock Station (don't go straight to Kennedy Meadows).
You will start to climb.
Go past Fish Creek campground.
Go past Troy Meadows campground.
When you reach the Blackrock Ranger Station stop and ask for directions to Osa meadow.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Clarification to directions

I believe the Kennedy Meadows turnoff at Pearsonville is Nine Mile Canyon - if you miss it then you probably shouldn't be riding a dirt bike:p

Shifty1408 - as much as I'd love to ride KM it's just too far of a drive from SF for a 3 day weekend IMO. Go to Bakersfield, over to Mojave then north on 14 for ~45minutes to Nine mile canyon.

Brian

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'm getting packed

Thanks for all the information. I stayed over at Ridgecrest when I entered my first and only harescramble at Red Mountain two years back (a race I'd rather forget). Ridgecrest is a nice little town and I remember China Lake Blvd. , so we'll probably stay there in one motel or another on Sat night.

Even if I don't get in much riding this time around, it'll be worth it just to see the area.

It'll be my first ride since my little crash at Starwest (I just finished cleaning the knobby marks off my helmet)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Holeshot, if U do go (looks like it), then by far the best (family-style) mexican restaruant in town is El Charro Avitia, 1337 N. China Lake Blvd.; prices are reasonable for the quality.

Since U would be scoping it out 4 your daughter, then get a map from either the KM general store or Blackrock Infomation Center; the latter is ~2.5 miles on your right after Troy Mdws Camp (follow the signs). The area U want to scope out is Monache Mdws 4 sure (enduroaddict's son was there on a PW80& did well), all other spots 4 her are shown on the maps but have very little to offer @ her skill level, nonetheless they are there.

We plan on doing Monache as Part 2 of our 1st loop of the day; feel free to join us Sun. as we hookup w/brett r @ Osa Mdws ~10am (where most will B camping) or from Troy overflow @ 8am.

Last edited:

evanrichards

Jan 3, 2000
Holeshot,
1st, I think you may be slightly delusional to say that Ridgecrest is a 'nice little town'. It's truly a dump, no doubt about it. This time of year your eyeballs may very well catch on fire right inside of your head. You may be attacked by Black Widows and Kangaroo Rats, no kidding. And yes, that is a real animal. If its anytime between Jan 1st and Dec 31st, it will be windy and dusty. Unless you consider Mc Donalds and Taco Bell good food, there is nowhere to eat, except the Cottage Cafe for breakfast on China Lake Blvd. Most of the law enforcement types are bored, so drive the speed limit or you'll get a ticket from a guy who looks like a pissed off drill sergeant. And don't mind the smoke and loud explosions off in the nearby mountains, it is just the navy testing their newest and greatest smart bombs and missiles, they usually don't hit any homes or highways. And whatever you do, stay on the main roads. If you wander to far off you may run into some whacky meth lab operators who don't take to kindly to strangers.
2nd: Don't forget to actually stop at the Kennedy Meadows General Store. They have great Jerky, just ask Gospudracer.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK, evan, so its not paradise. At least it has a bike shop, that's one more than my hometown...

Some late-breaking news: my two younger boys came down w/something, so if they do not improve by tonight, we won't make it :(

I'll be off-line once this goes out to cyberspace...

Back 4 now: More news: they seem to be getting over it, so we plan on going...(I know, as if it matters :-I

Last edited:

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
If I can make it Sunday may I join up with any o' ya-all? I know Last Chance Canyon, however Kennedy Medows is new to me. I have a stock XR200R That I ride fairly slow. I can climb with it fairly well. Saturday amd Sunday night I would like to camp somewhere near some of you, if that is alright.:)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
See my report in General Fourm under Ride/Race Reports.

Oh, Rogue: did ya make it? Going to Monache Mdws was worth all the trouble for us.

Top Bottom