Kennedy Mdws, aka Kern Plateau 5/24-?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
On Sunday, May 27th, my oldest son & I’ll will be staging for the day only @ the Troy Mdws (Campsite) Overflow between 8-9am. Come & join us for some alpine single track in one of finer places to ride in Ca. We’ll see & legally ride thru breath-taking meadows, tall pines & aspens, granite outcroppings, & stream crossings; almost as picturesque as Colorado/Lake Tahoe area. Last year I came upon a black bear, which proceeded to scoot up the trail in front of me.

It should be in the high 60s. Elevation is 8k’+, snow in some spots.

Brett r will be camping @ Osa Meadows from the 24th on. We plan on joining up w/him for a loop to Monache Mdws., which is just south of Mt. Whitney.

Bring fishing gear if so inclined & U decided to spend more time there.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I hate to miss that one. Never rode that area and heard nothing but good stuff. Please post again on the next one. BTW, how long is the drive?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I am almost possitive Kiwi, TTRGuy and I will be there this weekend. I don't know when Kiwi will arrive but TTRGuy and I will most likely arrive early Sat moring (26th) and leave Monday (28th).
I've never been to Kennedy Meadows and I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe we'll bump into ya placelast. :)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Where Ya' all Campin'?

GSR: of course U were speaking figuratively (two-way trails up there.)

R U all camping near Brett R @ Osa Mdws? Or Troy? Either way, we'll stop by & say hi. Go right by Fish Creek Cmpgrnd; too hilly, & sound travels all too well.

Let me know if U need trail/loop suggestions.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Sure, figuratively, that's what how I meant it. ;)

Not sure where we'll be camping, waiting to hear back from Kiwi. Brett did offer camping near him, may do that. I've never been there before so I am not familiar with the area, Kiwi is though.

You know my riding abilities (or lack there of!) so any trail loop suggestions would be very welcome. :)

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Aimee,
My girlfriend will be there and you 2 would be perfect riding partners.It looks like we may have a nice size group with all skill levels so everyone will have someone to ride with.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Oh, yeah: hooking up w/bretts g/f may be a better thing.

& if that furry-faced bird (sorry, can't bring myself to hugging him just yet) knows the trails, then this may be irrelevant; he's well qualified to do the leading. We wouldn't mind doing some of the tougher sections w/him, tho.

Either way, there's plenty of options 4 U (hugs aside, lol).

Here’s what I’d recommend if you stay @ Troy Mdws camp; we did these loops last year based on prior discussions w/some of the more seasoned riders we met in the campground & talked to (U will need a map to follow; get one @ the Kennedy Meadows General Store on your way in or @ Blackrock Information Station, 2.5 mi. beyond Troy Mdws):

When exiting camp, turn left @ the stop sign onto the paved road, then after ~15-20 feet take an immediate right off of the road and another right onto 34E03 & go by the edge of the Troy Mdws overflow (camping). There will be a dirt road which U will come upon, which goes to the overflow & beyond (21S97).

(The reason for zigzagging in this manner is if the rangers see you on the pavement any more than the ~20’ they will write tickets, so said one of the old timers, who watched them do so.)

Turn left onto 21S97, stay on for a short ~100 feet, then turn right onto 34E27, which will take U quite a ways, to 35E06 - turn left there, then straight onto 34E02; this last one will take U to where brett r & co. R staying (Osa Msws); follow the dirt road that crosses this trail off to your left to visit his camp if so inclined.

To go back, take 34E01, left on 35E06, right on 34E27 to camp. This loop is just over 30 miles ‘round trip, so U’d B fine w/the MX tank.

Going out, there is a tough switchback near Beach Mdw.; other than that it’s do-able 4 U. Just enough of a challenge but not over your head. Take a camera; the meadows are spectacular. It was on this loop where I followed the bear.

My oldest & I will likely be doing the same loop out of Troy (we wouldn't mind basing in Osa but would rather use the time riding the trails up), but once @ Osa Mdws we will hookup w/brett & continue on east to Monache Mdws, then back to Troy via Jackass Trail. I haven’t been that way in decades but it looks like it’s a bit longer, perhaps 45 miles total. Feel free to join us, however, big tanks R recommended.

As an alternate route on our 2nd time up last summer (we went 2x; once in July, then again in August), instead of turning around & heading back @ Osa we continued on w/ 34E26, 35E02, 35E06, then 34E27 back to Troy for 35 miles total. It was a good addition but not nearly as fun nor as picturesque as the other loops described herein.

For a second loop I recommend continued straight out (south) of Troy on 21S97, which turns into 34E25, 34E07, left on 34E01, then veer off to the right onto 33E24, left on 33E28, 34E10, then back to camp on 34E01, 34E07, 34E25; I remember it being between 30-35 miles ‘round trip & a bit more demanding in the closer to camp section. 34E24 has a narrow rocky section – take your time thru there. 34E01 is very whooped out, so much that’s tiring whether U go slow or fast; didn’t matter. 34E01 has a short but scary stepped rock climb, & there’s another similar tough section on 34E10. It’s best to let someone else take your bike over the few sections. May I suggest you truck in your bike to Bonita Meadows, thereby avoiding all but one tough section. Other than that, it’s an outrageously beautiful loop, especially Bonita Mdws. In early July the flowers were spectacular; they were all but gone in August.

Troy Meadows campground has some spots w/running tap water & pit toilets; the overflow is primitive camping. No burn permit is needed within the campgrounds, only outside of them.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
WOW! Thanks placelast. Looks like I will definitely need to make sure I get a map! Are the trails marked? Uh, Kiwi may be "qualified" to do the leading, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm gonna follow him! :p I'm not that crazy. :)

Brett, what does your girlfriend ride? How old is she (not that it matters, just curious) :) I think I would like to camp near you guys. We're going to leave early and go up on Sat morning. It is about a 4 hour drive for us.

Does anyone know what it's like at night there? Am I going to freeze my caboose off?! (not that that wouldn't be a blessing!) :eek:

Oooh, 3 more days, can't wait! :)

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
30 to 40 at night during the day 60 to 80 last year was warm during the day we even went swimming.Melissa is 28 and rides a ttr 125 she likes to ride slow and take in the scenery.She has finished a few of the twmc beginner enduros but does not try to win she just tries to finish.She is leaving sat morn also you may be able to hook up along the way and she can lead you into camp.If you still ride that rm 125 you may need to rejet,probably drop the main one size and move the needle clip up one.Also you wont need to bring firewood.I just checked the temps up there the high today was 72 the low last night was 36

Last edited:

Mrs. Vixen

Feb 11, 2001
As usual it will be down to the wire for us. Motors are coming back from the shop on Wednesday and we are planning on going up Thursday. Eric will be assembling the bikes in the back of the truck while I drive.;)

My brother and his family are coming up Friday, his boys are 7 and 5. Does anyone know if other kids are coming up?

Brett r, Glad to here Melissa is going to be there.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Same old,then he will be jetting on the trail while i sit and watch.make sure his bike is running before we go on a ride.Hawners knee is bothering him from the race at least that what he says maybe he just wants to sit around and coctail all weekend.I am meeting Jason and all his crew in mojave thur at 6 am then were caravaning up there.George from twmc is going with his son nick who I think is around 12? maybe we will take a group ride to the swimming hole we found last year.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by gospeedracer
Uh, Kiwi may be "qualified" to do the leading, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm gonna follow him! :p I'm not that crazy. :)

gospeedracer, what on earth are you talking about! :p

You'll have to let me know what the riding is like up there when you get back.

Aw man, I wish I could go too! :(

Mrs. Vixen

Feb 11, 2001
I'm looking forward to a ride to the swimmin' hole.
I'll be sure to pack my suit.

Tell Hawner I still have those three bottles of Champagne he can finish for me. I hear Champagne is really good for sore knees something about the bubbles.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by brett r
Also you wont need to bring firewood.I just checked the temps up there the high today was 72 the low last night was 36

I'm unclear as to why we wouldn't need to bring firewood. Because you don't think it will be cold enough or because there is enough to scavenge around the camp site? We are going to need firewood to cook at night and temps as low as 30-40 sure as hell warrant a fire in MY book! ;)

Mrs. Vixen it will be nice to meet you as well as all the others. :)

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
There is an unlimited supply of wood up there,so you dont need to hall a bunch up that hill.I usually fill my truck when i get there so we can have huge fires at night.

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Is this the same Kennedy Meadows?

I know of a Kennedy Meadows off of HWY108 in the central Sierras is this the same spot? If so I would love to hook up with you guys as I will be spending the weekend about 30 west in cold springs and a sunday day ride would be perfect.

Dean

Mrs. Vixen

Feb 11, 2001
The motors are back and Eric is out getting parts at the local dealer.
I have completed the grocery shopping and I am all packed.

Gospeedracer, It will be nice to meet you too.

Brett R, Who has a fire permit or should we stop at the ranger station and get one? I know last year Slim Shady had one.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was going to exclude myself from this because I have care of my 9 year old this weekend, and I wanted to take her riding where it's fairly easy (Sunrise peewee track), but I could do that on Sat. and check out the Kennedy Meadows area on Sun. I wouldn't be able to venture far (can't join anyone on long loops), but it would be nice to check the area out for future reference. Sounds like a great place to ride when temps hit 100+ at lower elevations (already the case). Are there any areas a 9 year old beginner could ride?

Questions - where the heck is it? I have my trusty OHV guidebook, but it only shows Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs. Are there motels nearby?

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Where's Kennedy Meadows Located?

I'm Familiar with a Kennedy Meadows off highway 108 in the central sierras west of Sonora Pass is this the same place? Would love to hook up with you guys!!!!!

Dean

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Shifty - it is a different Kennedy Meadows several hours drive south of the one you are thinking of. The one they are talking about is reached off of 395 and is a long haul from Northern Cal. Was there once about 15 years ago and it was GREAT, some of the best trails I've ever been on.

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by holeshot
Are there any areas a 9 year old beginner could ride?

Questions - where the heck is it? I have my trusty OHV guidebook, but it only shows Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs. Are there motels nearby?

1) Yes. I haven't been to the upper part (Monache Mdws) in decades, so I cannot remember how is peewee/beginner friendly it is. Brett r is on his way up now, & will not B able to answer this question today; I will be able to answer next week, tho.

From what I remember from talking around last year, there are easy jeep/ATV trails up near Monache suited to the peewee & beginner crowd (I intend on taking placelast extra shorty up there later this summer); most other routes from what the map & regulations state are either intermediate/advanced singletrack or graded access roads; some OK, others off-limits to non-highway-licensed motor vehicles (green/red-sickered bikes/ATVs.)

2) To get to the Kern Plateau (near & thru the community of Kennedy Meadows) from LA/inland empire, take Hwy 14 (LA) or 395 (Inland) north. Where they come together ((Ridgecrest/Inyokern) it's another 5-10 miles thru Pearsonville. (There are several good hotels in Ridgecrest (which is where we R staying.) ~5 mi. north of Pearsonvill is the LH turnoff to Kennedy Meadows; the road is called Nine-Mile Canyon Rd. There R 2 big signs off of 395, so it's difficult to miss. Continue up the road ~40 minutes to the Kennedy Mdws, turn left (NOT right) @ the fork by the general store (sotp there to get a map or @ Blackrock Information Center.) It's another 15 minutes to Troy Mdws Camp, another 2.5 mi. to Blackrock, an additional ~1/2 hr to Osa Medows, but a map is needed & follow the signs.

My oldest son & I will B @ the Troy Meadows Campground Overflow area ~8am Sunday morn.. White Toyota T-100 w/2 yellow bikes. Plan B is to drive to Osa Mdws. For sure we intend to go by Osa, then on to Monache.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by holeshot
Are there any areas a 9 year old beginner could ride?

1) Yes. I haven't been to the upper part (Monache Mdws) in decades, so I cannot remember how is peewee/beginner friendly it is. Brett r is on his way up now, & will not B able to answer this question today; I will be able to answer next week, tho.

From what I remember from talking around last year, there are easy jeep/ATV trails up near Monache suited to the peewee & beginner crowd (I intend on taking placelast extra shorty up there later this summer); most other routes from what the map & regulations state are either intermediate/advanced singletrack or graded access roads; some OK, others off-limits to non-highway-licensed motor vehicles (green/red-sickered bikes/ATVs.)

2) To get to the Kern Plateau (near & thru the community of Kennedy Meadows). From (LA, take Hwy 14 or) 395 (Inland) north. Where they come together ((Ridgecrest/Inyokern) it's another 5-10 miles thru Pearsonville. (There are several good hotels in Ridgecrest (which is where we R staying.) ~5 mi. north of Pearsonville is the LH turnoff to Kennedy Meadows; the road is called Nine-Mile Canyon Rd. There R 2 big signs off of 395, so it's difficult to miss. Continue up the road ~35 minutes to the Kennedy Mdws, turn left (NOT right, do not go to the Kennedy Meadows campground, which is to the right) @ the fork B 4 the general store (stop there to get a map or @ Blackrock Information Center). The key @ this intersection is to continue on towards Sherman Pass. It's another 15 minutes to Troy Mdws Camp, another 2.5 mi. to Blackrock Info Ctr., an additional ~1/2 hr to Osa Meadows, but a map is needed & follow the signs.

My oldest son & I will B @ the Troy Meadows Campground Overflow area ~8am Sunday morn.. White Toyota T-100 w/2 yellow bikes. Plan B is to drive to Osa Mdws. For sure we intend to go by Osa, then on to Monache.

If U plan on hoteling-it on Sat. night, let me know so we can hookup caravan up the hill. We'll be staying in the Carrage Inn off of China Lake Blvd in Ridgecrest both Sat & Sun. but do let me know sooner if possible.

Top Bottom