desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
How about a DRN get together at Kennedy Meadows over the 4th of July weekend??? Anyone interested?

If so lets start planning... :aj: ROADTRIP

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I have no idea if I could make it, but Kennedy Meadows would be great since there are no Red Sticker restrictions (read here).
What is the weather like there in July?

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Kiwi.. Give us the low down since you are a regular...

Weather in July??

Camping?? Are there facilities for those that don't have trailers? Do you know the names of any of the campgrounds so that we can check on availability?

I'm sure there are a million other questions that we need to explore.... I'll start loooking on the internet to see if I can find some info.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Though it's a bit of a ways off ... I'm fairly sure I'm in.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Looks very likely.... :cool:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
If Kennedy Medows is close to Red Mtn., I might make it for one of the days

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Yea. I'm with Bundy on this one. Kennedy is a great place to ride, and Jim, it's a bit of a drive so you might want to camp.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I will be there the weekend of June 15th. ;)

There are no camping reservations, so it is first come first serve.

I havent been for 8 years, and I am SO excited :)

Is anyone else game this weekend?

I will try for July also but the big weekends are a little crowded :(

Weather in July can range from the mid 60's to mid 70's or cooler if there are T-storms.

The elevation of the trails range from 7800 to 9200, but there are some as low as 6000 but I have only been there once.

Last edited:

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
This could definately be a possibility for us. We have never been to Kennedy Meadows...what is the weather like in July?? How about the terrain?

Karna&Justin

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Dang :( Can't make it! :whiner: The weather will be perfect guys, (July - 7,000-9,000 ft. elev)
KM has a pretty varied terrain but if you ride more than a couple trails you will find some rocks :) Probably at least 100 miles or so of 'marked' trails plus 42,671 miles of Kiwi trail :) Having ridden in at least 6 states KM is by far my favorite spot to ride of all time! Awesome camping, views etc.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
We're going on the Memorial Day W/E, & perhaps again on the 4th. We want to camp where brettr, Kiwi, & TTRGuy did last year on this same W/E. I know how to get there by two but have yet to do so by four wheels. Have map; will study & post our plans later on a separate thread.

There are various campgrounds up there, from primitive to semi-primitive. It all depends upon what trails you want to do as some locations are more productive, trail-wise. Troy & Fish Creek Campgrounds - the most popular for dirt bikers - have water in a few spots, picknic tables, fire rings, BBQs & cans. No fire permit required. Asphalt up to your stall; two cars/pickups per stall. Some stalls are xtra large for trailers. I believe the cost is $5/nite.

The primitive camps do not require a fee, but do not have the above ammenities & require a fire permit; Troy overflow does have cans, as does Jackass. brettr's site is primitive but is a real good staging spot to optimize the furthest & best trails (ones closest to Troy/Fish Creek are most traveled.) What do you think, Kiwi, brettr, TTRguy, GSR, others?

I prefer to do the intermediate-level trails as to maximize mileage, distance covered, and that at a moderate clip; one needs to conserve energy to take it all in - remember, there's less oxygen @ 8k'.

Kiwi & others prefer the hard-core type trails.

I'll tentatively volunteer to lead an intermediate group (please, no more than 8) via single track into the upper meadows (outrageously scenic Monache Meadows) & cross the south fork of the Kern river, then for an afternoon loop drive to Bonita Meadows (this one fills up with magenta-colored flowers in July) & do a loop around Sherman mountain. On the drive back, we can stop @ the fire lookout station & take in a late-afternoon view of the spectacular Dome Land wilderness; too bad they locked it up :(

Weather in July is mild, in the low 70's during the day; snow is gone & the wild flowers are out, meadows are green & the mule ears are huge! The trails begin to get dusty.

In Late May there are some reminants of snow, so it's in the 60's at best.

August is the same as July, but if your timing is right the occasional thunderstorms dampen the trails, making for some awesome riding, however the dozens of meadows turn biege. Speaking of T-storms, the pop, bang, & crackle sounds like bombs going off when you're that close to the clouds.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
It depends on how many people show as to where to camp. Last year we camped with BrettR and that was great but we would fill that spot pretty fast. Otherwise we can get there early and "reserve" spots at Fish Creek or Troy Meadows or even the overflow areas.

As to riding - as Placelast said, lots of riding. I'd like to do a loop down to Kernville, an intermediate loop which is also a great mountainbike ride. After lunch and refuel we can split up, take the same trail back or take the road(if street legal) or come with me and take the more adventurous on a little more "technical" loop - 100 miles total, little less if you go back the same way or take the road.

I've also got a couple of good loops which are shorter while still being more challenging. Also have one loop where we'll have to bring gas - this one is not for the meek and has a VERY steep downhill in it (makes the Phelan sandhill look like a freeway) which you MUST walk your bike down.

Or we can stay up late, drink more beer, burn more wood, tell more lies, sleep in, start riding late and do the easy trails - I'm easy :confused: .

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Memorial at KM??

placelast-

it is my understanding that the trails are not open to OHV until 6-1, memorial weekend (saturday) is 5-25. If I am wrong I would like to go that weekend. I also have tenative river plans that weekend but I would rather get dirty than wet. ;)

nice trails past sherman peak toward big meadow then up to sierra peak, nice views. the trail used to continue from there toward domeland but is closed for many years now. :whiner:

what is the fine for traveling on KIWI trails??

Summer T-storms in KM, a story for another time.....

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
LOL 2strok4fun!! I've spoken to the ranger's several times and some of the trails are not open because they are too technical - the rule up there is that the trails must be able to be ridden in both directions to be "public" trails. I believe ALL trails are both ways but LOTS of people disagree with me. :p

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
I believe ALL trails are both ways but LOTS of people disagree with me. :p

I recall reading somewhere that there was a trail even kiwi considered one-way. Don't remember where it is & I'm not sure I want to know......

Brian

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
OK, OK, I'll modify that statement

"With ropes and enough people ALL trails are BOTH way"

is that better?

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have done the rope trick, but I prefer to ride :) All trails are 2 way, the right way and the wrong way. A friend got a heli ride by doing it the wrong way :eek:

I will call the ranger station tomorrow re: open dates for OHV use. If it is open I may be in for Memorial day.

Wife and kids are going with me on June 15.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Since the Big Bear trip last year where everyone was talking about how great Kennedy Meadows is, I've wanted to go. Memorial weekend may work out for me and my family. I'd be driving the motorhome. How would that work? whats the best place to stage with the motorhome and would the campgrounds be similar to Big Bear as far as access?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Tree: Fish creek work well for motorhomes. Thats where we camped last year and some had tent some trailers etc.

Desertracer, I'm bring the whole famdamliy also.

Oh yeah I'm in on the Fouth,

and Memorial Day looks good too.

Kiwi, "Drink beer, tell lies, start late." do you know me or what. You know a hill that make s the Phelan sand hill look like a freeway?

WAS THERE A HILL IN PHELAN? I just remenbeer a few speed bumps in that parking lot. :moon:

Only the wimps use ropes. Just through the bike over your shoulder and charge on :aj:

Top Bottom