placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I wasn’t particularly looking forward to the 5-hour long, 250+mile one-way drive, but rather to ride in the pines after being off of a bike since April; more so now that I have my own horse back together again, Eric Gorr low-to mid-porting and all. Yes, the loaner went back to its rightful owner, but not before connecting him to an interested buyer and new owner – it was returned in better condition than when I first laid my hands on it back in early March, and sold before he got it home. Another win-win-win. Now back to Kennedy Meadows.

Arriving at 11am on the 4th brought disappointment at first due to missing the first group (The Eel, 2strok4fun, Scar Tissue, PvtJoker) to head out on a loop, and that by a half hour. I hung out with the likes of Kiwi and dirtjunkie (DJ), whilst they tweaked on the latter’s CRF for a good part of a few hours, and hung a hammock. As the afternoon turned into evening it was looking like our late-day loop would turn into a night ride, so the two suggested we rest before venturing out. As much as I tried, true rest would escape me with all the other dirt bikers coming and going, although it appeared DJ & Kiwi may have got some shut eye based on the silence at their campsite.

Seeing it would be a while before our outing I heated up some home pre-BBQ’d ribs – the real thick kind, and chomped on an ear of corn while the ribs came up to temperature. Mmmm, mmm.

Around 5-ish, the group of four returned from their loop, which ended up being longer (aren’t they all?) than they thought it would be, out into the netherlands of the Kern Plateau west side. Turns out they did a bunch of lifting over downed logs and the like on trails not yet on the maintenance schedule. Methinks maybe it was good to miss all that. 2strok4 came in with a flat, and Eel had to bum some fuel; all came back dusty and tired.

A call came from DJ “we leave in 15 minutes”. With that I scrambled to fit my gear and accoutrements for the evening outing. Before we left Herman the German joined in; Kiwi decided to stay behind – so now I knew we’d be back at least before midnight!

My bike idled just fine with an additional ½ turn out with the airscrew. This was following three complete heat cycles from an (earlier in the week) assembly. The time had now arrived to apply a real, dynamic load for a thorough, prudent break in.

First thing apparent was the smoothness off of idle, into the midrange – good job Eric. Now I don’t know why I was expecting the front end to reach for the sky – that’s alright, though: I do not want a bike like that, and would certainly prefer it this way for the type of riding near my new living on the central coast of California. Off of the bottom, there is a small bit more pull – just right – into the preexisting thick middle. Testing the higher revs on the next day proved it to still be there too, although with less snap; just right - wouldn’t change a thing.

Our destination this fine evening was Monache Meadow, at the base or not far from Olancha Peak, which is above the tree line. Looking forward to a ride, it came to a surprise we headed off on a round about way to Beach Ridge trail, something I did not look forward to as this trail and its embedded rocks send me into headache mode. We then connected to Albanita (a big favorite), then Blackrock connector, where we lost Herman (in the lead).

As we turned left towards Monache and a few miles shy, we saw a couple on a dual sport bike and DJ mentioned to them if they had seen the speedy German shoot by. With that we continued on and passed yet another beautiful meadow. In the corner of my eye, some 100+ yards away I saw this big fuzzy thing: a black bear! Other than his watching us as we passed, he quickly returned to his foraging. DJ missed the sighting.

As we descended into our destination while entering in on the 4-wheel drive access trail, we beheld the valley before us, and DJ cries out while I’m adjacent “ain’t that a scene”. And it was a scene – Monache Meadow before us, with the south fork of the Kern River meandering thru.

As we parked by the major crossing, the place where TTRGuy did his spectacular splash and subsequent crossing two years ago, DJ attempted to make friends with another’s dog, but the pooch would have nothing of it. The couple was friendly but on their way out. As DJ and I were finishing up our delicious dried bananas and preparing likewise to leave, Herman pulled in, and after some discussion over the virtues of wide-ratio transmissions and electric start, we witnessed a 4-wheel drive cross the river before us with ease. About that time the sun set, and we were 18 trail miles from camp. Uh, let’s go guys! Ok?

Returning on Blackrock Trail connector eventually tied us into Jackass Trail. By then I was really using my headlight, all the while thinking Bigfoot could just stick his arm out and dismount little ol’ me. You see, DJ and Herman were moving along at a good clip, and even if I were holding back I wasn’t), they’d still leave me in the dust, although they were kind enough to wait up every 5 miles or so.

Darkness was really settling in when I began to wonder at times if I was still on the trail, so I clicked it down a gear and really took my time, not seeing well with my standard front-mounted headlight pointing uselessly up then down (and tinted lens, nonetheless); this would have been much better with my visor-mounted, light-where-I-look getup.

Miles later and when I was just about to click it down a gear again, there was a small wooden bridge to cross – signs of civilization! And arrival at the blessed campsite it was. We arrived at 9pm, and had left for this loop shortly after 5:30 - 35 miles in all.

Not being in the mood for early bedtime, there was a gathering of the DRNers around a fire - fine conversation and all. At first I felt odd stuffing my face alone with my allotment of junk food - tortilla chips and salsa - in front of the encircled group, but since no one took up my offer, I continued to finish off the late-evening snack/rations to great satisfaction. And it surely hit the spot. “Burp!” Ah, that felt good, but no one heard for the crackling of the wood on the fire, lest they think me as low life. Then to my comfort it came time to top it off with some varietal grape juice of the fermented persuasion, and others had given in to the invitation of sipping this sensation: the zinfandel was the first to go, then the cabernet. Ah, the good life: Fine campfire, fine wine, and fine friends.

As midnight approached it was time for Scar to put the fire out and retire. But before laying my head down I had to donn my spectacles to take in a few moments of a star-filled sky.

Not being one to sleep in, breakfast eggs were prepared for the upcoming excursion with yet-to-arrive Old and Slow (O&S). The sun had just poked above the ridge, and with the time I began to disassemble and pack camp for a latter-day departure.

An hour later O&S arrived, and after his unload we sail off on Mahogany Trail, Rattlesnake and Beach connector to Bonita Meadows, where we took our first break. The meadow was living up to its name, with magenta flowers filling our eyes to a grass green backing..

We headed out on a bigger loop around and beyond the meadow to take a spur up to Sherman Pass Vista. Before we got to the spur I intended to spend some engine time in the middle RPMs, but was distracted by the beauty of yet another meadow; as my eyes tuned back to the trail, I crested a mount and saw a 2-3’ log in the immediate front with an opening cut on the extreme left, and the trail going through. Whoops! Too much speed and too little attention = too late to save it! Trying to negotiate the turn was futile as I augured into the down face of the mount - bonehead maneuver. We stopped again a 1/2 mile beyond at a trail split, and realized my knee was twisted at the aforementioned get off – not good. Standing seemed fine, but any shifting while sitting was painful. We did the Sherman Pass Lookout anyways, since we had come thus far, and then took the spectacular trails back to Bonita.

A lean over while backtracking on Mahogany confirmed my condition: no afternoon loop on Little Horse and Upper Beach Trails this summer - me both sad and hurt.

We arrived back at camp close to noon. Kiwi and company was getting ready for their afternoon marathon; some innocent victims were lined up. As I said good bys, O&S was considering joining the trek to Kernville.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Did a short ride with the gang on Thursday evening but had a commitment to ride with the kids on Friday. Ended up seeing the gang blast by me in a rock section (Thanks for the showering of rocks and dirt guys) with 2strok4 in the rear with a flat. 2strok4 must have shaved off most of the teeth on his rear sprocket in that rocky area. We stopped to help out another rider with a derailed chain who didnt have tools. What is it about people that do long trail rides without taking tools? I was beat lifting the kids bikes all day over most of the rock sections. The night of the fourth had me kissing up to the wife and taking the family to a firework display up in Independence. Neat display but not worth the drive. By Saturday most of Wrecking Crew had already headed home.
None the less, you couldnt ask for better weather. It was great putting faces with the names and sharing the Thursday night fire.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Good write up Placelast. I'm not as good of a story teller, so this will be brief.

Igot to KM at about 8 am. Placelast was waiting for someone to ride with. I guess the previous nite at the campfire took its toll. We went for a 40 mile loop. Hi lites of the loop. Lotsa flowers in the meadows. Lot of downed trees in the burn areas. The loggers had cut thru most of the trees. Saw a mule deer cross in front of me. He stopped and stared, I did the same.

I was a little to tired after that loop to join the guys on the Kernville loop.

Later that afternoon Eel and I did the Monache Meadows loop. 3 hours and 45 miles later we made it back to camp. Not sure where we were most of the trip. No trail map. We weren't sure where we were most of the loop.

Sunday Morning I was To tired and sore to ride anymore. I packed up and left around 10. I can't wait to go again.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
A very very good time. Just like the last 2 years :thumb:

We made it up there Wed. and ha a good time every day. Fishing, riding hiking, slepping, eating, telling lies around the campfre what could be better :yeehaw: . It was good to get to know Prvt Joker and family a lot better. 2stroke4fun pulled in shortly after and was very cool also,it was good hanging out with you. Boodac and family were already there. Thursday 2stroke, joker and I went for a short loop 2 hour loop before lunch. I believe it was up beach ridge , across Albinata and down Jackass. It was good fun with a lively pace. Albinita was by far the most fun. I got the pleasure of watching Joker take a few Geology samples on jackass. :moon: Glad he wasn't hurt thoose boulders looked quite hard. Cruised back to camp for lunch and family time.

The Kern had more water in it than last year so swimming was OK. Oddly enough some of the other trails like Rattlesnake had alot less water. Go figure. Had some fun fishng , eating ice cream from the general store and riding the kids around on the fireroads.

Friday came the real ride. 2 stroke, Eel, Joker and I took off. (we just missed Placelast, we would have waited if we knew when you were coming up) Bummer. Joker and I were planning on being out for about 3 hours. We wnet over mohoganey to rattlesnake and then down towards Big Meadow. Lots of fun, a little dusty but good. It was helpful that my camelback was comfortably resting, full of water, back at home in the garage. :confused: Just a had a little 8 oz bottle in a butt pack. About 2 hours in we talk about heading back, 2stroke says yeah were doing a loop it'll be shorter to keep going. (sounds like a Kiwi statement to me)

Soon we ride off the bottom of the forest service map. The trails we find are numbered and named but not listed. We stop to get Eel some gas from our 4 stroke tanks, he was on a 2 stroke. His bike ran a little lean and crisp. My empty water bottle came in handy. We started up this real long, steep, rocky, sandy, uphill trail at 9400 ft. 2stroke and Eel apparently mad eit all the way up. my little 250f was just spinning its wheels about 3/4 of the way up, after dog paddleing and pushing for a while my lungs were about to explode and my bike boiled over. 2 ktms' a 450 and 525 came up and stopped a few swtich backs below both boiling over as well. Joker made it up to just below me and boiled over also. We decided to head back. It wasn't worth blowing up the bikes.

We took a few interesting detours and crossed a few downed trees. before finding a road we could locate on the map. we took that to the fireroad and hauled a$$ back.
5 hours later, exahuasted and dehydrated we pulled in to camp. Eel and 2stroke made it back an hour or so later. It was a fun time.

Joker and I then loaded up the family and hiked up to bald mountain lookout. Very cool for those of you who haven't done it.

Troughout Friday more of the crew showed up and we had a nice campfire that night.

Sat. I was pretty tired and skipped the AM ride. reserving what little strength I had left for a possible PM upper meadow ride w/ Placelast, Greg and others. I hung out an chatted with Herman the German while he waited for Kiwi. He seemed like a pretty cool cat. We talked about, what else but our next bikes He has me convinced to buy an electric start 4 stroke. Possibly a KTM 525 over a crf450. although the wr450 is still in the running.

Placelast returned kinda banged up from his AM advenutes and decided to call it a day. I wasn't completely motivated so I followed suit and loaded up, we drove back happy, exhausted and completely filthy.

It was good to see everyone again. and to meet some new people.

Our custom tent trailer was comfy however, now my wife wants to buy a full size RV. Spent part of Sunday RV shopping.

Now I need a bigger house to store all the toys :thumb:

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Great weekend with more relaxing than riding for me. I did the Kernville ride with the German, Dirtjunkie and Capt Jack and other than that just goofed off.

Eel, I think I have your chest protector - Grey Fox Airframe?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Are you trying to make me jealous with all these tales of glory? :silly:

It seems I'm cursed with KM - last year it was a cracked gas tank that stopped my ride short (didn't know until later) and this year I was stopped due to ....uhhhh... health problems.

Next year, next year...... :thumb:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Holeshot - we did miss you up there and everyone's wondering how you are feeling ?

Kiwi - yup, that would be mine. Guess I'll have to come pick it up - might as well bring my forks while I'm at it. Six pack of that special stuff ? What do they call it - "import" ?

I had a great time ... I'll report shortly.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Firstly, thanx to DRN for the vehicle to meet and ride with a group of great people. It was great meeting everyone and I enjoyed the company as much as the riding. Following is my long-winded post, but hey it was a long ride. :)

Departing for my favorite riding spot was riddled with difficulties. After anticipating this trip for a few months, the week leading up was looking like I was not going to make it. Myself suffering from old mans disease was not holding together after a long ocean jet ski ride a few weeks earlier, I didn’t think any saddle time was possible. It wasn’t until Tuesday night did I decide that I was going to be able to make the trip. My wife and I have been suffering through a extensive remodel, mostly my wife, and have been without a kitchen since March, on Wednesday our kids were being extra challenging and my wife had extra duty of her sisters 2 kids, she was clearly stressed when I got home from work at almost 7:00PM. I, after thinking I wasn’t going had nothing packed to go, the bike still needed a few screws turned and the Kennedy jetting installed. Literally throwing in all my camping gear and packing the truck, I hoped I had everything I needed. After putting the kids to bed and packing, I finally finished my grocery shopping at 11:30 PM, late considering I was planning on a 4:00 AM departure to make a mourning ride.

The alarm went off and I dragged myself out of bed, the only thing moving me was the promise of miles of single track winding through the pines and meadows of the south Sierra. A final scan of the already packed truck and I noticed that my bike has the 2003 green sticker, my new sticker hasn’t arrived from the DMV, so back into the house to rifle thru the paid bills to find my receipt and check stub for my registration, I hope this appeases the rangers. So 5:50 AM and I am rolling. After speeding through desert, 9 mile canyon road brings me to the higher elevation, but only after I manage to run over a minor rockslide that happens just in front of me, that proved to be too much for my well worn tires and I blow a flat about 1 mile from fish creek. Tire changed and dirty I pull into fish creek CG where I find Private Joker and Scar.

Finally I arrive and can relax, unload and prepare for a ride. Scar, Private Joker and myself plan on a ride to Little Horse and Osa Meadow via Beach ridge. We navigate all of Beach, the rocks and stutter bumps are not as bad as I remember 11 years ago, or my KTM just sucks it up much better than my old YZ. After a few head ons this year, I happily take the back position. We start to head out Albinita to the Osa loop, where I spot something shiny on the trail. Not thinking anything other than someone has lost some goods I continue on to find Scar checking his pack as it has come unzipped. He offers to head back on the trail solo to find his lost tools and meet Pvt. Joker and I back at camp, but we decide it is better to stay together and change our route plan and backtrack the leg of Albinita where we locate some of Scars tools. We continued on Albinata to Jackass where we return to camp with a good warm up run in. A few jetting adjustments, a sandwich, a ton more water, and a needed afternoon nap later, an afternoon ride is taking place. Bodoc & nephew (Neal I think) Scar, Pvt. Joker and myself plan to do the approx 2 hr loop around Bonita meadow. Well the entire group didn’t make it to the intended trailhead; it was the youngster and I. After some attempts to find the rest of the crew we decide to head out the only other possibility, Beach ridge. We did meet them returning on beach ridge and we decide to do a quick run to the top of Mahogany. There we turned around to make it brief and keep those waiting in the camp happy, (Hmmm... I hope my key still works when I get home).

That night offered a nice campfire good food (thanx Joker & wife for the tasty spaghetti) and friendly conversation naturally covering jetting, gear ratio’s, bore stroke ratio, and on and, hey where did all the girls go? Bedtime offered instant sleep and the sun seem to hit the tent very early. The Eel promised to get up for an early ride but must have found the mountain air makes for good sleeping. Kiwi followed by Dirt Junkie pull in and scores a lucky campsite right next to the group. The mourning went on with little movement toward a ride, but like a good ride, good BS’ing takes longer than expected. I enjoyed the conversation and meeting more of the crew. I am thinking Kiwi has a TOPO of the area tattooed on his brain, as he seems to know every trail in a 100-mile radius.

10:00am and the 1st ride is coming together. I had mentioned a loop that I have done some time ago and it seemed like everyone was game. The Eel, Scar, Pvt. Joker, and myself head out for the run. Fun but uneventful the firs leg of out trip takes us over Mahogany, to Rattlesnake, then up to Bonita meadow, where we count heads. I spot Tim, an employee of Z-racing and give him a shout and wave, the recognition comes in handy later. We head on down the trail past Bonita with the Eel and I swapping lead. The trail is dusty and the follower is force to ride the fender of the leader or drop back some yardage. Eel is leading a fun pace while I try to keep to his fender for visibility. We come across a mountain biker (what the..) I slow slightly to acknowledge him as Eel opens some ground. I try to reel him back in thru the dry fog, a little to much speed and a chicane turn thru a cut log (prolly the one Placelast got to meet later) clamp on the binders! Certain I am heading for an early lunch, I just squeak by just skimming the left peg. Phew. A little further down the trail, Eel still in front, I stop at our next trail change heading up to Sherman peak. A dust trail continuing down Trout creek trail tells me Eel missed the turn. I find him at a road crossing shortly up the trail, no worries. We are heading up Sherman pass trail when Tim from Z rides up on his 525 and his buddy on a 520. They are heading to Big meadow via our intended route. They take off up the trail. Nearly to the top of Sherman Pass I have caught up to Tim. There is a sharp turn then a surprise rock to manipulate while at low speed. The obstacle had stopped Tim, which ended my momentum, that is the story I am sticking to. The sticking point chain-reacted to every rider down the trail (I think there are still some stumbling on that little ten inch rock). We stop to take in the vista and cool of in the breeze of the cooler 9100 ft elevation. Moving again traveling south and downhill toward big meadow. We stop again before the ½ way mark and assess the gas sitch. Eel’s GG300’s smallish tank and thirst for fuel is a concern. We decide that adding some fuel before empty is reached is a good idea, adding some straight gas from Scars thump and my pre-mix gives him over ½ gallon of 80:1 mix added to his ½ tank netting a mix of, well good enough for trail side math. Eel gets more gas than bargained for, but that wont help his bike out. :laugh: Further on we reach the turn heading to Serietta peak (sp). We are now at the ½ waypoint and 7500 ft. The trail turns sharply up hill and we are navigating trail that looks like it hasn’t been ridden this season. Loose DG pocked with rocks and some switchbacks is the trails personality now. We seem to be traveling with and the same speed as the breeze moving up the canyon. Heat, both me and machine as a result of challenging terrain and a HP demanding climb. It seems my jetting scenario of crisp, crisp, fat, is just the ticket as my 250 pulls without complaint. Just before the top I stop in the shade of a tree in a spot that offers a welcome breeze and a view of the trail, and Big meadow in the distance. Eel is close behind, we wait and listen………….Eel’s Gas Gas is sounding like it is perking coffee, other than that a very occasional distant Braap…….silence…….Braap. Some time goes by maybe 10, 15 minutes. Too far into the ride for anyone to turn around due to gas, there is some concern. Ah, Ok, thumper noise, here they come………Uh-oh the first bike around the bend is orange; well we’ll know the story now. Greg then Tim pulls up with both Katooms spitting water. They say the others turned around to return. Glad to know there is no injuries to man or machine we trek on to the summit about another 100 yards, Damn, my steering is like wet cement, I must have tagged one of the rocks too hard and pinch flatted. Some trailside jetting to raise the clip on Eel’s ride, a quick snack on a Cliff bar for me and down hill and down the trail we go. Argh! Downhill steering is like wrestling a bull. Oh well we are at 9300 ft and 23.5 miles back to camp with only a few rocks along the way and some downhill sections. DOH! Now I am bringing up the rear, way back. I hope my tire stays on the rim for the duration, the idea of a Placelast “camp under the stars” doesn’t sound good. We catch Tim and Greg again contemplating a section of trail, a 2-½ ft diameter log across a creek. Traversing around the obstacle didn’t look like an option so we buck the bikes over. A few more logs and other obstacles we return to familiar territory. Gee the trail seemed so much more ride able 11 years ago when I did it last. One more stop at the camp of Tim at Bonita meadow, some gas for Eel, a chair, a beer, some conversation and we are on our way. We return to camp after a brief stop by the rangers for riding the road that included a quiz of what where and who, but he sensed my exhaustion, flat tire, and let us go. Back at camp Placelast greeted me and informed me that the others made it back safely. Tired, dirty, and without time or a tire I packed up to head home after a hot shower and some more visiting.

Another KM trip in the books and digitally recorded by GPS on TOPO.

Thanx guys, how about August? :aj:

Nicorete

Jan 6, 2003
HA HA HA Rich (Boodac) Yeah Right! Dont complain about it. You got more tired from me dogging u on the trails then lifting your kids bikes up the rocks. OHHHHH!!!!.... JK....Great riding. Oh and Mammoth motorcross track is CLOSED to the public now. Please send your complaints or concerns to mschlafmann@fs.fed.us

Nick (909)rs

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I always seem to get more than I bargain for when it comes to Kennedy Meadows. Last year it was a quick loop with Kiwi and Thumbs that turned into a 75 miler (and 85 for Thumbs with his small gas tank). This year it was 2stroke4fun’s loop into until recently unexplored terrain. Each time at Kennedy always seems tougher than the last time, but maybe that’s ’cause the desert is pretty forgiving compared to the Meadows’ rock infested, tree-lined single track, which I only visit once a year around this time. This year I had my very own Gas Gas 300 for the first time. It was never a handful ... carved like a ginsu (ok, so it‘s Spanish), vacuumed up the rocks and roots, and chugged up the silly silty switchbacks without complaint (well, maybe a little complaint when a long uphill started it boiling over). My only issue is it’s short range - the 2.5 gallon tank only gets me about 50 miles on the GG3. Like the fat man said, “2 outta 3 ain’t bad.”

Almost all the good KM friends were there ... Scar Tissue and family, CPT Jack and Amanda, KIWI, DirtJunkie, PlaceLast, and Old ‘n‘ Stealthy. Plus there were some welcome additions - Boodac, and Pvt Joker and his family, as well as 2Stroke4fun. But we were also missing some friends this year - like GSR and Mr. Luckey (both of whose absence we lamented around the campfire), plus other Wrecking Crew regular army like Thumbs, HoleShot and Dez Racer. It was also a bit of a disappointment that several special guest appearances never panned out, i.e. Elk and ’89r.

Rhona and I came prepared this year with plenty of food and drink, a canopy, our mountain bikes, and even some basic cooking equipment. This made our stay alot more enjoyable and kept us through Sunday instead Saturday as we had planned (yup, she wanted to stay). We never touched the mountain bikes but the other supplies came in handy and worked well.

The camp setup was great this year with just about everyone camped right next to each other. Once again Scar had a fire ring going each night.

I got out on 2 good loops this year. The first led by 2Stroke4fun. I don’t remember all the trails’ names but the highlights were the Siretta and Machine Creek trails. Siretta was a long twisting uphill trek with silty switchbacks. 2S4F stalled at one turn and blasted me with a wheel-spinning cloud of silt that was nearly as large as a small house ... all this and I was only 5 feet away from his angry rear tire when it happened. Plus the uphill trail had my bike boiling over, not to mention it boiled 2 KTM 525’s and 2 WR250F’s. It was hot out - plus the elevation was well over 7000 ft and the trail was long and loose. Any rest was welcome and it felt great when we finally conquered Siretta - somewhere around 9500 ft. Along the way Pvt Joker and Scar had to turn back .... guys, we did wait for you for a good 20 minutes when the KTM‘s let us know what had happened. Time to get some big bores for next time.

I was so pleased with the GG3 on this trail ... it just pulled and pulled. Even from a stall. No doubt I was glad I had some NEW MEAT on the rear .... great traction courtesy of Kenda. The Unadilla in 120/100-18, mounted for intermediate terrain. There were quite a few logs on the trails this year and unfortunately I wasn’t the only one to mash a stray foot. Mine purpled up nice a few hours after we returned to camp.

The Machine Creek part of the loop was damn tough. The trail was very tight with some slippery creek crossings into quick uphills. Plus some rock faces to negotiate and several logs to cross ... one that was about 3 feet high on its side. We had to lug all 4 bikes over that one. Pretty draining at 8K after 35 miles of rocky singletrack. I was starting to wonder just a little if I was gonna make it back. Gas was a major problem for me but thanks to Scar, 2S4F, and Z-racing Tim I made it back. Anyway, it was obvious nobody had been up Machine Creek for quite some time. Not a tire track in sight and many detours were needed to get us out. Big thanks to 2Stroke4fun for what was the highlight of the trip for me. An exciting and challenging ride ... about 6 hours on and off the saddle. Thanks dude.

We did some swimming on Saturday and I have to say I was sorta hoping we would see at least one rattlesnake. You know - just to liven things up another notch or five. Apparently there were quite a few sightings through the weekend. Unfortunately we had to make due with one very small water snake. Oh yeah, I also saw my first marmot.

My other KM loop experience this year was a quick 45 miler with O’n’S. Blackrock Mtn trail (?) was a highlight as were some monster whoops out in one of the big meadows. This time I went on reserve at 43 miles. Mostly a lot of challenging rocks and some great slalom through the trees. I did some sprints every so often on the way back through the woods ... good fun.

PlaceLast’s signature, in addition of course to his signature Suzuki, has got to be his fine wines. You and I bring Budweiser, but PL brings cabernet. Awesome around a fire.

Of course I haven’t mentioned the traveling roadshow that is KIWI and his buds (LOL) - this year it was DirtJunkie, the German, and late appearances by guys with birth names like Pork Chop and the Mouth. What would camping be without you guys !

Revelations of this trip:
1. Dirtbikes are just like Dungeons and Dragons. We just talk about tires, gearing and jetting instead of hit points and magic weapons.
2. Yes - my Gas Gas is a +5 vorpal weapon.

I wanna hear more about the Kernville odyssey ...

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Nick, didnt know you read the DRN group, welcome aboard. As for the dogging me part, thats ok, nothing a little brake checking around the berms wont handle. Just remeber, this old man still has some tricks up his sleeves even if Iam slow. Besides, someday your going to be in the same position with your kids and Im going to sit back and laugh at you ride their bikes one by one up the trails.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Awesome reports guys. :thumb: :worship: ALMOST like being there. :whiner: Sorry I couldn't make it. Had some last minute visitors over the weekend.

9r

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ol'89r you have more guest than anyone I know. Im thinking we need to hog tie you to your bike and cart you to the ride with us.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Boodac
Im thinking we need to hog tie you to your bike and cart you to the ride with us.

Works for me Rich. :thumb: :) :)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great reports, everyone! Did any of the girls ride this year? I'd like to check out Kennedy one of these days. I notice its a big July 4th trek, is it much cooler up there than other places in the summer?

Thanks again for the recaps of what sounded to be a fantastic weekend!

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
My 17 year old daughter rode Friday. She definately needed a warm up ride after not riding for so long. Good old Mahogany and Beach trail were just the ticket.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom