David Lovett

Feb 14, 2002
Anybody out there heard of or, has ridden at S-Tree are outside of Bera,Ky??
How many miles of trails approx??
Type,width,condition of trails??
parking area and vandalism??
Is an OHV sticker required??
What's the camping like at S-tree campground? cost,etc.

Also where is the RedBird area in relation to Cincinnati? Can you answer the same questions

I have been to the KY-OHV website butt I want some real feedback! Have two boys 1-with single track experience, 1-without only fireroads. Need to know before I go!!!

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
S-Tree/Redbird

S-Tree is great for families. In fact it is really fun riding even for more agressive riders. You do not need a sticker to ride there but it is patrolled by the DNR. We have not had any problems at the camp in 4 trips. It is free of charge too. The DNR have stopped by to check on us a couple times. Do not get off of the trail, watch your fire, and clean up your mess and you will be fine. The trail is mostly two track but is no where close to being a fire road. There is plenty of trail trash ( rocks, roots ) and a ton of water bars. They become little doubles if you time them right. You will cross a few small creeks and there are a few small climbs. It is 9.5 miles one way to the road ( 421 ). We have had no problems with the law, riding the 1.5 miles of pavement that connects to the other 10 miles of trail. In fact, I asked an officer along the road and he said it was Ok. Just stay to the side and keep it slow. Even two 14 yr. olds on 80s went. The other 10 miles are my favorite. It is a bit more difficult but still fun. It connects to the other camp called Turkeyfoot. It is very nice up in there. Also at the S-Tree camp there is a 4.5 mile loop trail. This place is definitely worth the drive for you and your sons.
As far as redbird gos, I have not been ther yet. I am going soon though. Prob. Easter week. I have done a lot of research on the place and here is some of what I know. It is located southeast of S-Tree. Fallow 421 s. to the Daniel Boone PKY. go east to Big Creek. It is 52 miles of trail that will take average riders 6hrs. in good conditions. One group told me it took them over 8hrs to go to the halfway point and return in the rain and cold. At one time the entire ride was single track and extreme in areas. Some of those areas remain but a lot of the trail has been rerouted and is now two track. This is not a beginners ride. If you intend on riding the entire loop you will need gas or a big tank. Some people hide gas cans near the halfway point. The main road cuts thru there. They say there is a very remote station in the town down there. Some sections of the trail are designated for licensed vehicles only, but it must not be enforced. Everyone I know that has rode the entire trail are not on licensed bikes. I am not saying that everyone should do this but it is very remote down there. If you take it easy on a small section of gravel road they will leave you alone. They can use your business in town. How old are your sons? I have a 15 yr. old and a 7 yr. old. I want to take the little one to S-Tree soon. Mike

kjlovett

Feb 24, 2002
Thanks Motor!

Thanks for the reply motor! As I am getting my two boys (1-14 w/TTR125,skill factor=intemediate, 1-10 w/XR80,skill factor=fireroad) and myself back into off-road riding we, like many,we are searching for good offroad areas. I pretty much grew up at Ky.909/Livingston during the 80's and this past January my 14 year-old and paid the place a revisit. Man alot has changed since somebody traided their 2-wheeler for a bulldozer and logging truck!!
I am trying to stay away from the motocross tracks and chewed up place like Haspin Acres-Laural,IN (been there-done that) and have found a 2000 acre park in Mayesville,KY (BIGROCK). Maybe this year we'll check out Wayne National Forest in eastern Ohio but, I here its a crowded place on weekends.

Sounds like S-Tree is a good place for my youngest and maybe my oldest is ready for Redbird? Camping and riding is what there ready for. Me, I used to compete nationally and internationally in observed trials so I'm ready just bring it on! Now at 40ish I just picked up a used DR250 and am working out the bugs (and kinks) so I'm just teaching my guys the fun of off road riding with a twist of trials confidence.

Thats what were into, what about you?

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
What we are into

We mostly just like to trailride. No natl. riders here just play riders. We run a few harescrambles just for the heck of it. I enjoy watching trials competition occasionally. Some of the stuff they do is way cool. I have tried to pick up a decent Trials bike off of ebay but have always got outbid. I want a cheapy I guess. Just something to mess around with in the back yard.

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
Redbird is 70+ miles around and many parts very technical. And the hardest sections are just when you leave camp and right before you get back to camp. So getting to the easier stuff will require either a lot of road to connect where it crosses or gets near a road, or a determined and/or skilled rider to go through the first section. There are some very difficult hill climbs scattered through Redbird. It used to be even better, but they widened (ruined) several sections of trail to accomodate quads (!#@$%#$%#) :whiner:

David Lovett

Feb 14, 2002
DKO

Hey DKO, you mean *&^$%# high performance riding lawn mowers?
Have you camped (tent,truck) at the RedBird area? How are the locals (police too) on stealing your stuff while your out riding? And don't forget about the pot growers who just love to see you riding near their "#1 KY cash crop"??

What town should I look up on the map about fuel,eats and supplies???

Any other recommendations about riding at RedBird? Do I need to pack a gun?

jrccc20967

Mar 30, 2000
Are group of 3 just got back last night from riding Redbird.We had to pull off at about the 52 mile mark because of low fuel. VERY tough trail, but we can not wait until we can go back.We went 3 years ago and never made it up the first hill do to a break down.If you go take a camera there is some great sights to see. I hope to post some of are pic's this next weekend.Make sure your bike is ready the only way out is on your bike.We stayed in London at the Days Inn. It was $54.00 a night even on the weekend.Good Luck and give me a Email if I can help in any way. jcrye@centurytel.net

David Lovett

Feb 14, 2002
RedBird reply

Thanks JRCCC, sounds like a great ride you and your buds had. So how far from London did it take ( I assume you went due east on some KY route). I have directions from KY-OHV!
Motor Micheal mentioned being able (maybe) to ride into a town for fuel and snacks? Did you do this?
Are these trails "patrolled" by the "OHV-police" did you run into anyone else out there? My big question..how is the tral marked so you know the loop?

Sounds like what I'm looking for 70+ miles of good stuff that loops around and brings you back when finished. Are there marked loop shortcuts?

Thanks again......maybe we can connect in MI or KY

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
Camping is across the street from the ranger station. It's a 5 acre grass field. Lots of room. You don't need to worry too much about your stuff being stolen, except for coolers of beer. These have to be locked up. It is a dry county, and beer will be taken. It happened to us :(

A bit past the half way mark you can ride a mile of road to a little country store where you can get gas and food.

The trail is not marked very well, and I would not attempt to ride it without a guide or a GPS and map made by someone who has done it.

Redbird is about 30 minutes East of London.

No marked shortcuts. Only way to shorten is to bail out and ride the road back (about 15-20 miles from the gas stop). We've had to do this twice.

I have not seen it patrolled by OHV police.

jrccc20967

Mar 30, 2000
We saw one group of local atv guys(12 or 13), but they were on someother trail.We did not see any other poeple on the trail.We took the toll road out to the Big Creek exit.We got trail maps from a website. I'll look it up and send you the address.We only made 1 wrong turn. The trail is not that badly marked. Just keep a good look out for the orange markers and green paint dots on trees.I hope to have a few photo's posted on here some time this weekend.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
KY Trails

Hey, I live in London, KY & have ridden at Redbird, I also know some guys that ride S-Tree, but probably the best place in KY is right off I-75 at EXIT# 49. When you get off the exit Park at the Shell Station and you are THERE. There is at least 60 Plus miles of trails that I know of there. Folks come each weekend from Everywhere, its not unusal to see indiana, NC, SC, and other license plates. I would rate it much better than Redbird, I havn't been to S-Tree yet. As far as the trails go there is just about anything you like from hill climbs, slow technical trails, fast open trails, etc, etc. You do have to watch out for those Rail buggies & those who consume alcohol while riding, but for the most part its a great place, there is a Natural bridge and some nice scenery as well. NO tickets issued here, at least not yet. Next time I go to exit 49 also know as "Chromer Ridge" I will get some pictures and post them.

if you have any questions or come down to ride, email me at sgtsmith@gte.net

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Any of you guys make it over to this side of the state and ride at Turkey Bay? If you ever want to ride Turkey Bay let me know and we'll ride. It's 2500 acres and about 150 miles of trails. A 3 day pass is $15 and yearly pass is $45. There's not much single track (unless you make it). Difficulty is moderate to hard in some places. Lots of hills and rocks.

Hopefully we'll have a Kentuckiana DRN chapter ride there this year. Everyone needs to join in.:)

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Turkey Bay

We have heard alot about it here in London, KY, just havn't made the drive, its always difficult traveling far away if you don't know exactly where to go, We are looking in particular for a Huge Wide open area with rolling hills & jumps just for play riding, we have plenty of single track around London. Anything like that at turkey bay ??

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
There are some big open areas, but no rolling hills. Most of the hills are pretty steep with very little room to get a run at the bottom. Definately some challenging hills, but an intermediate rider shouldn't have trouble with 90% of the hills. There are some main trails that loop around the riding area that are Very wide and have some jumps made into them. You have to be careful though, the trails are two way and are open to jeeps and buggies as well as bikes and atvs. The farther from the main trail you get...the less people you see. The parking lots can be crowded, but once you get deep into the woods, you may not see anyone.:think It's a great place to ride because there is so much ground to cover and miles and miles of trails. You can ride immediately after a rain too. It drains fast and doesn't have very much mud, because there are alot of rocks. Most trails are 2nd to 3rd gear trails. Some places get tighter, some more open. Ya'll come on over and we'll ride.:)

Top Bottom