kick start problem/how to remove clutch?

crakerhead

Mar 2, 2008
so i am having kick start problems. when i kick, there's no compression, the lever just goes all the way down. some times it will catch if i get a rolling start and pop the clutch. i removed the clutch cover and the clutch plates but can't figure out how to remove the 19mm bolt holding the clutch on. when i try to loosen, the bolt just keeps spinning. i need to get this off to get to the gear that's loose behind the clutch that is supposed to catch when you kick.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
you need to stop the camshaft from spinning.
in past we use to set a tissu under the piston, jamming it and the camshaft from spinning.

or you can get a clutch basket holder, its what the manual call for.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Impact wrench will take it off. I usually just put it in a high gear and stick a large screwdriver through the sprocket and let it wedge against the swingarm. If you do it that way, make sure your screwdriver or whatever you're using to stop the rear sprocket moving doesn't hit any of the spokes. Works every time.

crakerhead

Mar 2, 2008
ok so thx for replies, i got everything off okay and found the problem. a circlip had come loose from the kick starter and one of the "gears" was loose. i replaced the clip and got it to start just fine. now i have a whole new problem...won't shift! clutch has no compression on handlebars and when it's running, it won't shift with the foot lever either. it just idles, doesn't change gears at all.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Sound like the clutch is not re-assembled correctly if you didnt disasemble the shift lever assembly.

crakerhead

Mar 2, 2008
yea, it's just weird bc when it's idling after it starts, even if i hit the foot shifter, nothing happens. so probably missed something when putting it back together.

Top Bottom