dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
Hello everyone. My 00 220 kick starter seems like it wants to disengage every now and then about 3/4 of the way thru the kick. Is this because I didn't start at top dead center? And are you at TDC when you feel the most compression? Thanks Darin

------------------

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Finding TDC isn’t normally a concern for small bore 2-stroke owners. There isn’t a starting procedure for you’re bike like there would be for a 4-stroke, just kick it. At TDC the piston will be at its highest point in the stroke and yes the compression will rise to that point.

What makes you think its disengaging? Can you describe it in more detail?

Your bike should be starting with one or two jabs and the kick starter hot or cold.

David

------------------
Let's bust big . . . I don't think so. Let's bust bark! Now you're talking!

www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
What are you using for transmission oil?

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
I use Bell- Ray gear oil. It feels like the kick starter gets hung-up and then it finishes the stroke with no resistance. I noticed it last year,But didnt think much of it. I just finished putting in a new top end and was tunning the motor over by hand. I trashed my cylinder a few weeks ago. Putting in a wiesco piston.(circlip came out)Now I'm a bit paranoid! I also got my forks and shock back today. So I will get it altogether soon. And see if it still does it Thanks Darin

------------------

maurice

Mar 19, 2001
I've had exactly the same problem. It started after I changed the gear oil from "light" as recommended, to "medium".
(The shop did't have "light" in stock.)
So I just assumed it was because the gear oil is too thick. I'll be changing it soon so hopefully my problem will disappear - if not then I'll be reading this thread with great interest!

Maurice

------------------

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
My 1992 KDX200 does this too, sometimes it just feels like there is no resistance, like the teeth have stripped off the starter dog, but I know this is not the case. I do not know what the gearing is in the kickstart but I assumed that this problem is when you start the kick just past TDC and therefore there is no compression at the start of the kick and the gearing means that you reach the bottom of the kick stroke before you have achieved much compression. I tried setting the piston to just before TDC by feel, as you would with a 4 stroke, before kicking and the problem went away.

------------------

TheMort

May 31, 2000
The same thing is actually happening with my KDX too. It just started when I changed my brand of gear oil. But it sounds like it's the same thing as what's happening on your bike. It feels as if the gear teeth are stripped and the starter just flops down with no resistance. I'll be changing my gear oil back next time I change it to see if the oil is what caused this.

------------------
Kyle - My Photo Page

---------
95 KDX200

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Sounds like the spring on the kickstarter gear needs to be replaced/repaired. I had this problem on my old kx250. You kick down on the lever, but the kickstarter gear doesn't engage so the motor doesn't turn over. Seems like a common problem.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JohninKY (edited 04-10-2001).]

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
dkb - To quote Jeff Fredette "... just use plain old 10-40.. the cheap stuff."

I had the same problem on my '96 KDX with Mobil 1 15-50, especially at cold temperatures. Switched to 10-40, problem solved.

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
This maybe a dumb question but how does the weight of oil affect whether the kickstart engages or not ? Also is it wise to base your choice of oil on this alone ? I would have thought clutch performance, ambient temperature etc. are much better indicators.

------------------

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Kwackers:
This maybe a dumb question but how does the weight of oil affect whether the kickstart engages or not ? Also is it wise to base your choice of oil on this alone ?

The thicker oil prevents the dogs from fully engaging, especially at cold temperatures when the oil is thickest. Kawasaki recommends 10-40 oil for the transmission. As long as it's changed at regular intervals, you will not have any problems with clutch wear and/or slippage.

------------------
'98 GasGas EC250
'01 Sponsors: me, myself, I

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
I'm not suggesting 10-40 is wrong - thats what is recommended and thats what I use, I'm just trying to figure how much the oil can affect the kickstart, after all it is way above the oil level and therefore only residual oil is around the kickstart ratchet mechanism at a cold start.

------------------

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
on your piston prob what happend was you
bent one of the c clips a and got it out of
round ive seen this several times and they
always pop out and ruin the cyinder and wise
co will do nothing about it

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1983it250
alexis il

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
agitt73, Thats what I did allright. live and learn. On the bright side My new 225 rocks!

------------------

Top Bottom