Kick starter doesn't seem right.....

freakaccident

May 3, 2004
I bought a 97 KX250. The guy I bought it from hadn't ridden it in over 5 years but said that it would always start on the first or second kick. I know it has a fresh topend with Wiseco piston. I took it home, changed the plug, new airfilter, tightened bolts, adjusted chain, etc. When I kick start it it just doesnt feel right. It take 5-10 kicks to start but when you kick it it doesn't feel like it is engaging soon enough. Alomst like there isn't much resistance on the kick starter. I haven't ridden since I was a kid but I remember there being quite a bit of resistance when you kick a bike over. I just can't seem to get a "good" kick on it. Any ideas?
The bike is crazy fast once you get it running and will pull the front wheel up in all 5 gears. I actually looped it in my driveway just screwing around.
Thanks,
Aaron

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Seems pretty normal not to have much resistance. The only two stroke I've ever kicked was a 125, and it was incredibly easy with no resistance. My XR400 even have barely any resistance (thats normal on the XR4's.)

Just make sure you use the choke and throttle when starting it cold.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Its possible the starter rachet gears are rounded or broken, if it feels like the starte goes like 1/4 stroke or more before it engages. Other than that, if the piston is moving when your kicking, its working

freakaccident

May 3, 2004
Its just a pita. I was messing with it a little last night. It seems like if you move the starter enough to get the piston at the right spot it works ok. Maybe this is a trick I dont know.

kx134

May 4, 2004
do you have a partially stripped kickstarter spline?
maybe you just need to park on hills...haha

actually, I can start my bike with my hand. So I can tell you the 125 ks has basically no resistance...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Check the compression and see if it's correct.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…