Apr 26, 2000
My 2000 426 kick starter has been sticking in the down ( kicked ) position. Have any of you experienced this before, and have a solution.
thanks very much.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Does it stay down and you have to return it up or is it just sticking but snaps back when you jiggle it?

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
my starter sometimes gets wedged or locked in at the foot peg, and I have to hit it with my boot to loosen it. It returns freely, I guess I am just wailing it down...

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Mine gets wedged by the foot peg too. The issue is the stop notch on the kick starter dose not line up with the stop block on the ped, so it gets chiseled out and makes a wedge shape. Some guys have built up the weld on the starter others have built up the block on the foot peg. I tried putting heat shrik on the kick starter shaft but it tore through. I try not to kick it to hard, but kicking it to hard is a better option than getting the knee in the jaw jolt from a kick back!

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Sounds like a broked spring. Once you pull it back up does it stay? Or does it fall back down once the engine is running?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
That's weird; must be something jamming when it is in the down position. Of course you have looked for marks on the kickstarter where it might be jamming on the frame, footpeg, etc.

Perhaps the shaft itself is bent somehow. Where it comes through the cover.

Sounds like the cover is going to have to come off.

Please keep us posted.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Jon K.
That's weird; must be something jamming when it is in the down position. Of course you have looked for marks on the kickstarter where it might be jamming on the frame, footpeg, etc.

Perhaps the shaft itself is bent somehow. Where it comes through the cover.

Sounds like the cover is going to have to come off.

Please keep us posted.

Could be a burr on the shaft.  Most likely will have to pull the cover. 

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Its normal, like I said, the stop tab on the kicker dose not line up right with the block on the footpeg. No bent shaft, ect in most cases. As you hit it, it weares the kicker and the corner of the stop tab into slants, a good hard kick will cause it to wedge in there. Some people build up the parts to line up better, me, I just filed down the block on the foot peg so it would not wedge. It is wearing through my kick starter though :( .

Top Bottom