MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
What makes a kicker a kicker? I was just wondering because I was told that only on kickers your front end dives down naturally. Thanks for any help.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A short jump or one with a steep lip at the top. On either one, your front wheel has already left the ground the rear end gets kicked upward by the jump. With the front wheel in the air, when therear gets kicked up, the front goes down. The best method for dealing with that is to be accelerating hard all the way over the jump.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I agree with the above statement. I find that if you are not wide open when you hit the jump you nose dive even worse. Keep this into consideration.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
sometimes jumps that don't have kickers develop them when they get worn. The lip is packed real hard and then for 2-3 feet below it the dirt gets thrown out leaving something that as Gomer said get's more steep than originally intended. But yeah, like pretty much every problem in MX, more gas is your friend! :) When in doubt...twist the wrist.
*disclaimer: this advice is coming from a never-was with a foot full of metal!

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
So I make my own jumps (my friend and I built a track awhile ago), what should I try to do? Make a longer gradually inclining ramp or a steep one?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
For forgiving jumps the incline should be 3' run up for every 1' in height. SX type jumps are more along the lines of 2' run up for every 1' in height. Which ever you chose, it is always an easier jump if yoou get both wheels on the face before lift off.

Top Bottom