Kickstand woes

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I took my kickstand off because one of the bolts kept coming loose and I wanted to put some thread lock on it. When I got it off I found that the threads on both bolts were just toast. Now they won't go back in. Is there and easy fix? Can I tap the holes and rethread the bolts?

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
you can ATTEMPT to retap the holes.... if you have the proper metric tap (which I am assuming you don't or you would know that tapping is your first and cheapest option)..

You MAY be forced to helicoil the hole, which involves drilling it out to a specific size and putting in an insert...

or you could just leave it off and claim that you have the bike MX'ed out... lol

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
:think:
Given:
1. The threads on both bolts are toast.
2. Now they won't go back in.

Why is the first thing to do not resolve the problem with the bolt threads?

Get a couple of new bolts (correct size), chase the threads (with the correct tap) if needed.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I don't know what happened in there the way those bolts ended up. I wasn't sure if I could tap the aluminum thinking it might be too soft and possibly destroy it even more. I will buy two new bolts and a tap and give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll try those helicoils. Thanks for the insight.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I just thought of another thing. Should I use thread lock? I know that when you mount aluminum wheels to your car you have to put that silvery goo on the brake rotor to keep the steel from bonding to the aluminum. Would this be the same with the steel bolt and the aluminum swing arm holes? I don't want them perminantly bonded together. Just a thought, I don't know.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I don't use thread lock on the kickstand bolts, or on any dissimilar metal assembly.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
The galvanic action or corrosion between the steel bolt and the aluminum is probably your problem if you get it chased out be sure to use the silvery goo.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'silvery goo'...

... is something along the line of Anti-Seize, Permatex brand.

Info here!

BTW, my 'red' loctite is in a pink bottle. Yeah...probably somewhat aged in tint, but pink nonetheless. It is 'high strength'. You will commonly need heat and/or air tools to get fasteners loose/off if you use red loctite. My 'blue' loctite is in a red bottle. It is 'medium strength.' Fasteners assembled with blue loctite can be taken apart using standard hand tools.

Loctite comes in red packaging, period. Don't confuse it with anything from Permatex.

I wouldn't use red Loctite on anything aluminum (swingarm). Blue will do just fine.

Tighten to torque spec. Check often.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…