kickstart dragging!! PLEASE HELP ME!

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
ok,
basicly, i start th bike up, and its running (this is on my cr250) while its running, the kickstarter startes to make a funny noise, the samee noise as when you start up the bike and its running and ur holding down the kickstart with your foot, but normally u lift off your foot and it comes back up, and locks and stops that noise. but on mine it doesnt, it does the exact opposite, the kickstart is pulling itself down, even if i hold up the kickstart, and bring it up manually, it still makes the noice, and if you let your feet off it while your holding it up, it draggs downward. also, when i kill the bike, the kickstart slams into my exhaust, like it will nail it, full force. i took it apart, everything seemed ok. i thought it was the kick return spring, but i got a new one, and made no difference. i looked at the teeth on those sproket type things to the kickstarter, they were fine, and im not missing any parts eather! so whats wrong with my bike? anyone kno? thanks!
-Tony

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Just asking but is the return spring connected on both ends. Sounds as if it is only attached to the kick lever and not the case, otherwise, it would return.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
last time i checked the spring was connected to the case, and the kick shaft rod, so i cant seem to find the problem. is there anything else i should check besides the spring?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
UPDATE:: i finally got the spring to work, the problem was i didnt alighn the punch marks together on the sharft. But now im having a different problem. now when i go to kick it, sometime it goes to start, and the kickstart flings up, but not from the spring. You know how when you start a "normal" bike, when its started and running you can hold down the kickstart and it makes a weird noise? well i know thats not good, but mine cant do that, like when the engine is about to turn over, it forces the kickstart to the top again, nad it hurts ur feet, cuz i think that its something to do with the sprokets in there, maby when its about to turn over the sprokets are in "reverse" and forcing the kickstart upward? basicly i go to kick it, and sometimes on the first kick or so it works properly, the spring brings it up to the top, but if i want to hold it in the middle i can. but when the engine is about to turn over to start, the kickstart shoots up, and you cannot stop it. i dont know, could someone please help!

250freak

Nov 3, 2006
Sand_man said:
ok,
basicly, i start th bike up, and its running (this is on my cr250) while its running, the kickstarter startes to make a funny noise, the samee noise as when you start up the bike and its running and ur holding down the kickstart with your foot, but normally u lift off your foot and it comes back up, and locks and stops that noise. but on mine it doesnt, it does the exact opposite, the kickstart is pulling itself down, even if i hold up the kickstart, and bring it up manually, it still makes the noice, and if you let your feet off it while your holding it up, it draggs downward. also, when i kill the bike, the kickstart slams into my exhaust, like it will nail it, full force. i took it apart, everything seemed ok. i thought it was the kick return spring, but i got a new one, and made no difference. i looked at the teeth on those sproket type things to the kickstarter, they were fine, and im not missing any parts eather! so whats wrong with my bike? anyone kno? thanks!
-Tony
hey pull your hot start lever and kick it when it starts let go of the hot start lever

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
i think i figured out the prob, but ill only know if i get a new keyway. the reson i think the kickstart was firing back at me was because, you know the part opposite from the clutch, that megnetic round part? it controlles the timing of the spark i think, and b4 i wasnt getting any spark, so i took it out, and noticed the keyway was broken, it has to fit in there perfectly or else it will not be timed correctly and will spark at the wrong time. so regardless, i put it back on, and tightened it. it did have spark, so i put back on the spark plug, and kicked. i think that if the timing was off it could backfire, causeing the kickstart to force upward toward the exhaust. because after i had kicked it and it shot back up, i smelled gas, and it made a pop sound. so i think that if i get a keyway to put in there, the timing will be set properly, therefore it will spark correctly, and it shouldnt fire up at me. is this possible?

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
its not right!! the noise you should hear while holding the kickstarter down is the ratchet part in the assembly its supposed to sound like that
yea the pulse ignighter pickup /gear is marked as well!!! if its off it will never start!!!!

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
jason33, so since the pulse ignighter gear was off, because of the keyway problem, would that have caused the bike to backfire in a way, and then send the kickstarter up at me? basicly once i get a new keyway today, and it is alligned correctly, it shall fire up again, and the kickstarter wont come back flying up at me?

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
yea i would say so---- unless its flooded and just got enough air to kick back
ive had them in time and kickback too!! 2strokes as well

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
thanks for all your help jason33, when i got the woodruff key for it, it started up perfectly! thanks!!

Top Bottom