cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
Heres my problem I have a 1981 yz250 the engine will turn over fine when I push the bike while in gear. but when I try and kickstart it, the kickstart lever goes through about 10 inches (at least halfway through kicking cycle) of very sloppy freeplay and then stops completly dead. and with the kickstart lever off I can turn the kickstart shaft very easily with my fingers until I hits that dead spot and I know thats not normal. Help

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You most likely have a broken kickstart return spring. Peices of the spring may be stuck in the kick gear. Take GMC's advice and remove the right side engine case. It will expose the kick gear.

cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
wrong kickstart shaft

I tore the right cover off and found it is has the wrong shaft in it,the teeth on shaft does not match the gear on clutch basket. thats what happens sometimes when you buy off of that E-site.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It may be the right shaft and be improperly shimmed. But, are the teeth really supposed to match the ones on the clutch basket? On my CR, the kick starter looks like it is supposed to engage the outer gear on the clutch basket. In reality, it engages an idler gear which turns another smaller gear under the clutch basket which you cannot see.

cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
found one

Its not the right shaft I looked at the part on yamahas parts catalog and the one I have looks totally different from the picture I already found one and bought it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom