Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
I was kickstarting my KX250 today and my foot slipped and the end of the kickstart lever poked right through the side of my new Sidi boot. The boots are not leather on the inside near ankle and the arch of your foot. I now have a big hole in my boot and a bruise on my foot . I guess I will look for more leather coverage on my next pair of boots...... :ugg: Are there any ALL-leather boots?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Man, thats cheap. Thats seems kinda soft for a motocross boot. Could have been worse, could have been a pointy stick while you were riding. I would be mad. :bang:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Hah, just friday my friend put a hole though the bottem of his tech 4's trying to start our friends yzf.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I too punched a hole thru Tech 8's the same way... unless there's a steel boot out there, it can happen.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The problem I always seem to have is catching the side of my boot on the foot peg when kicking it over. I've torn the inside of 2 pair of Alpinestars that way.

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
I emailed SIDI about the boot damage and they promptly responded with an offer to refund all of my money! That's a quality company. I am impressed.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
On my old YZWR I had the same trouble. If you gave it a full kick and your foot wasn't off to the side you would hit the foot peg, and 99% of the time the bike would not fire. I never ripped a boot but I did end up with many bruises. My dealer/mechanic buddy told me to keep my foot centered on the kick starter and only give it half kicks (enough to where the bottom of your foot was stopping at the foot peg) and to kick it this way rapidly. After about five of these quick kicks the bike would always start and I never bruised my foot again.

This was on a 2 smoke, not sure if this would work for 4's.

Mully

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
I just did the same thing to my Gaerne RX's. I was all mad, but then I found out that it happens too everyone and there is still some sort of really hard thing in between where it went through the leather (small hole) and where my foot is. I just can't put that foot in water anymore that's all. Not like I did before anyways.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
This thread reminds me of that tennis shoe question yesterday. OUCH.

BTW, Airlooped, I was looking at the Sidi's online when I bought my Tech 6s. How do you like them? Are they comfortable? I would consider them for my next pair. Who knows, maybe RC has found us a good boot to try in a year or so. I'm looking forward to reading some "Berik" reviews once the marketing samples go out the to the magazines.

Nov 8, 2017
I've read all of the responses for the problem you guys are having and i wan to know if you guys would be interest in helping me fix the problem? Me and my team believe that it is something to do with the kick start lever itself.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's funny to think of a group of people sitting around trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist on a basic design that has proven it's efficacy for decades. That said it's worth noting that I am easily amused so don't take anything I say too seriously ;)

Nov 8, 2017
It's a school project and we have to find a problem and fix it and one of the members in my team and I, wanted to innovate the Kick start lever not change in altogether. We know that now of days many people have push and go bikes now but we are reaching out to people who we think still likes the traditional kick start lever and would like to get there input. Answer this question for me : Has your foot ever slipped off of the kick start lever when trying to start it?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a school project and we have to find a problem and fix it and one of the members in my team and I, wanted to innovate the Kick start lever not change in altogether. We know that now of days many people have push and go bikes now but we are reaching out to people who we think still likes the traditional kick start lever and would like to get there input. Answer this question for me : Has your foot ever slipped off of the kick start lever when trying to start it?

For me, no it hasn't, but I've only been kick starting motorcycles for 49 years so maybe I need more opportunities. In all seriousness, the basic design of the kickstarter on most current motorcycles needs little in the way of improvement.I wish you luck on your quest to improve on it.

Top Bottom