Kickstarter problem need advice!

abitiseb

Feb 19, 2009
I have a 2001 KDX 220r and I start having a problem with the kick-starter. The ratchet mechanism is jumping a notch (I can feel that it is passing straight over the teeth. I have to bring it to the next teeth so he engage. It seem like it is always around the same spot that it don’t grip. I took out the ratchet assembly and it just work fine. Both spring is ok and no toot is worn. Anybody had the same kind of problem and find what was wrong.
Thanks in advance for the advice

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Mine did the same, some people recommend using ATF type F, others say to replace the spring in the rear (not the main front spring). I snagged a whole kick from someone who never had any issues and replaced that one with mine. It works great now but every now and again it sort of does it. I am also using type F now so we'll see if maybe it gets worse over a period.

lumpy39us

Dec 21, 2007
Mine did the same thing.
There is a gear behind the clutch basket, it was so worn and wobbly it would not hit the teeth on the basket. I replaced and it starts first time every time.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I just pulled mine apart as part of my restore project. Some previous owner kindly cross threaded the nut on the kickstarter shaft, and trashed the threads. So while my gears are probably salvagable, my shaft is screwed up.

Anybody pick up a whole new gear set to fix theirs, and just need the gears? I need the shaft, this is for a 1995 KDX-200...

Otherwise I may try cutting off the existing mangled threads and using a die to cut new threads one size smaller... I think that is a M 12mm 1.25 pitch on the current shaft, but maybe it's an M13... I need a wider selection of dies. I could also just drill a hole through the shaft and use a washer and an E-Clip... but I would rather have the nut on there...

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Oh, and just to offer something I observed last night looking at mine (not to mention drumming up some traffic on this thread looking for somebody who has a shaft they will make me a deal on), I think I see why the dogs don't engage as well over time...

The ratchet mechanism is a ramp up, followed by a plateau flat section, then a stair step down. Each of the two gear pairs have this.

So going the "slip" direction, the ramps ride on the ramps up onto the plateau, and drop down the stair, and ride up the next ramp, and repeat.

Going the "catch" direction, you ride down the plateau, and then the "step" parts run smack into each other and lock. They can't "slide up" a step, just a ramp.

So on my worn pair, metal from the ramp had been carried up and gave the plateau a slight "lip" or "mound" at it's start. No big deal going forward, it's still a ramp.

But going backwards, where the "steps" have to catch each other, those complimentary "lips" kept the steps from fully meshing. So instead of having the full face of each step engage the full face of the opposing step, maybe the top 2/3rds of each step engaged. The gears would not seat into each other completely, and could not completely engage.

The solution was simple, take the shaft assembly apart, and put the face of each gear par on a flat surface with some sand paper, and sand off those little lips until they are flat again. It's obvious when you are done, the whole flat surface is shiny again.

I did this last night, and just by feel you can see that ratchet engages much more firmly and aggressively, even without the spring in place. So I think that will solve my engagement problem, after I solve my shaft problem.

For my screwed up threads on my shaft problem, I am thinking now about tapping a hole in the middle of that shaft for a retaining bolt with a washer and spacer... though if I can find a good deal I will just replace the shaft.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
reepicheep said:
....I see why the dogs don't engage as well over time...

The ratchet mechanism is a ramp up, followed by a plateau flat section, then a stair step down. Each of the two gear pairs have this.....

So on my worn pair, metal from the ramp had been carried up and gave the plateau a slight "lip" or "mound" at it's start. No big deal going forward, it's still a ramp.

But going backwards, where the "steps" have to catch each other, those complimentary "lips" kept the steps from fully meshing. So instead of having the full face of each step engage the full face of the opposing step, maybe the top 2/3rds of each step engaged.

This thread is worthless without pics! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom