flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
Are there any known issues with any of the kickstarter parts?
The bike is an '02 KDX 200.
He says it doesn't always engage when the bike is cold.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
flyinzuki said:
Are there any known issues with any of the kickstarter parts?

Well, I've got an '03 200 and a friend pointed out last week that the "knuckle" on the kickstarter bolt (that stops the lever rotation at 90 degrees) is beginning to wear. Sure enough, I noticed that the kickstarter lever rotates well past 90 degrees, and I've only had the bike for 7 months. My friend said that is a common problem for KDXs... :|

I don't know what the fix is, other than my friend's remedy which is to weld a small glob of stuff onto that knuckle to stop the lever's rotation...

Any one else got any ideas on this? :think:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I welded my kickstarter so that it now stops at 90 degrees. Before I did this it was very sloppy and hard to get a good kick to it, not that KDX's are hard to start anyways...

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
It's been reported here before and is a common problem with the KXs. I've had two Kxs where the starter engaged sporadically and the only cure was to replace the floating starter gear inside the side case --even though it appeared to be in perfect shape. You might check that the spring is in good shape and pushing the gear inwards --maybe even stretch it a bit [or replace it] before replacing the gear.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds like the gear at the other end of the kickstarter's shaft (the one that engages to rotate the crank when you kick it) has some worn or missing teeth or the engagement mechanism is sticking. One of my friends has a KDX with the same problem; it dosen't always catch, offering no resistance through the kick. When your bike heats up the metal might expand enough to enguage the gears, or the heat/oil allows the gear to enguage properly. Try looking at the gear through the oil fill hole to see any apparent problems. I never replaced any of those parts on my KDX, but I did have to replace a broken kickstart shaft on a YZ that I had. It wasn't a bad job. Just disconnect the clutch cable, rear brake lever, water pump hose, and take off that side case that covers everything. Replace the gasket while you're at it, and check the clutch while you have that case off. It's about a 1 hour job if I remember correctly.
-Nick

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The non-engagement when cold thing has to do with the wear on the kicker ratchet and the matching teeth on the kickstarter spur gear. This is a different problem from the knuckle wear issue.

Actually, the problem first starts to assert itself when the bike is cold. As time goes on, you’ll start noticing it at warmer temps. I’ve concluded that there are three main factors:

Temperature
Oil viscosity
Oil level.

I used to only notice it on cold days, if I was running Mobil 15w-50. Then on cold days, running any oil. Eventually it got to the point where I saw a difference between putting the recommended 0.7 liter and dumping the whole quart in. It’s finally gotten down to a reliability issue so I’ll be installing a new ratchet and gear as part of my just-started winter teardown.

If it’s not too bad yet, switching to a thinner oil like ATF instead Mobil 15w-50 , particularly when the weather is cold, could buy you a season or two before you’ll be forced to deal with it.

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
Rob, and Nick
Thats it, that is what he described.
And everything looks OK, so I'll try the spring preload trick.
thanks

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
BRush

So adding more helps,
Maybe I'll have him try a full quart of Mobil 1 0W-20.

I haven't seen it yet, but was wondering if it's possible to take the ratchet mechanism apart and polish the parts.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
And, no - don't polish the ratchet -it'll only make it worse. You need to have a very sharp edge on the "teeth" to encourage them to engage. An almost imperceptible rounding of the square edge of the engaging teeth is what's causing the problelm

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
One of you guys asked about how to fix the rounding on the knuckle. He is my solution, hopefully. I have not tested this and have another weld to put on for strength. The lever, as new, does not even sit at a 90' degree angle from the bike and my fix puts it just a little below 90. I will put a thread with more photos later.

Attachments

• kickstarter-new-weld.jpg
    kickstarter-new-weld.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 229

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Yes, I was the one to post the question on "my kickstarter lever rotates past 90degrees"...

I don't completely understand the image you posted, but I presume you have welded a spot of metal onto the knuckle to act as a stop for the lever as it rotates away from the bike?

Top Bottom