Kickstarter screwd up-HELP!

Bultaod

Aug 24, 2002
Well I really did it this time. Was putting on new FRP unit and had a heck of a time getting the old one off. Well with the help of a neighbor, plenty of liquid wrench and various gardening implements it finally came off the shaft.

When I went to go give it the test ride the starter would not fully engage but ratchet slip unless I kicked very gently. It finally started and rattled like the ratchet wasn't disengaging. I worried that I would wear down the ratchet teeth so I shut her off. I musta gotten over-zealous with the crow bar and the sledge.

Now what do I do? -HELP!

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
ur gonna have to go inside now .sounds like in pryin u popped one of the circlips off,possibly a spring? .had a kx kicker that would just.....wang until it caught .it was a broken clip.do u have a manual? i can scan that page 4 ya

Bultaod

Aug 24, 2002
I have a manual thanks, How much of the engine do have to dismantle to get to the innards of the kickstarter. Does water pump stuff have to come off?

I spent all day today putting on new rotors, shoes, changing fork oil, and this kichstarter, just to get to a point where I created at least another days work for myself-sheez. These things can be frustrating-maybe next time I'll drop it off at the shop and let a professional do it while I go shopping with the wife-NOT!!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hate to say ..yup the right cover and clutch housing and all that's in the way inc the water pump stuff.with a manual u should b ok.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Bultaod - DO NOT Go SHOPPING WITH THE WIFE!

This is easy work for you - i have done it too many times myself. I had the same problem as you but after taking apart my side clutch cover (including water pump) for about five times (it gets easier every time ;) ) i finally ended up replacing the rachet mechanism for the kick starter. Works fantastic (like new) now.

You should not have to do this as it just sounds like you have to replace a clip that you may have bent.

Let the wife go shopping and you will have this fixed by the time she returns. :thumb: Do not let the "professionals" do this easy work.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sounds like your knuckle removal was kinda like mine...which is why I posted a suggestion to maybe take the knuckle off and grease it once in awhile.

I was worried my rachet would be 'hammered' too...considering the prying, pounding and chiseling required to get mine off.

That doesn't help you at all now...but don't feel quite like the lone ranger having had such a fit with the kicker knuckle.

But, yeah....you've got a bit more wrenching to do.

Post the result???

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…