Jun 25, 2010
Ok so I just got my Cr125 back together after putting in a new crank seal and the kick starter is not right. I am able to start the bike just fine but when the bike starts the kickstarter is loose? It also makes a clicking noise like it is still down. When I took the bike apart the kickstarter spring fell out. I put it back using the service manual to help. But I am not sure if it went back right. I am guessing its not right? Anybody know what it could be?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
mmhmm. take it back apart, and then double check your manual on assembly. There's probably a punch mak on the paw and ratchet gear that need to be lined up.

Jun 25, 2010
Ok so I took it back apart and found the punch marks on the gears. I put every thing back and now there is some tension on the spring. I put the kick starter on and tested it with my hand and it seems normal now. But I had to hold the spring in the hole it attaches to on the crank case. It barley stays in. Also when I try to put the crank case cover back on it will not go on. I managed to get it on once but then the kick starter would not move when I bolted everything up. Does anyone have any idea what my problem is now?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Once the marks are lined up, rotate the assembly clockwise, until it engages the stopper, then the spring should have some tension, to get it into the hole. It should not just drop in, or fall out loosely? Is there a plastic piece to help keep the spring in place on the shaft? Vintage Bob Ps, you have to pre-load the spring, wind it counter clock wise and drop it into the hole. It has to have pre-load! Pretty sure its, in the book?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2010
The spring does have tension on it. But it is the tension that is causing it to barely stay in. Also there is no plastic piece? How much pre load should I have on the spring? How many turns?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some are dangerous to install, especially if the gear is not in the complete opposite direction, or it has more pre load. No extra turns, just take it from slack, and the gear stop is all the way into its stopper(7&3), and pre load the spring into its hole. That plastic collar(#8) is essential in holding and centering the spring under tension. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2002-honda-cr125r/o/m2178#sch306837

Jun 25, 2010
I am not sure how the plastic piece is supposed be on the kick starter shaft. It doesn't show on the diagram. Is it supposed to have the gap on the piece of the spring that connects to the shaft or is it supposed to be behind it?

Jun 25, 2010
Mine is an 07. Mine is the same as the one in the picture. It has a gap.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Isn't it split? Doesn't the pic show the slot towards the front, at least? If either hole is worn, it may not stay in. A nice square edge into the shaft and into the case, no rounded corners?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
See the hole in the shaft that the inside end of the spring goes in? The split in the collar goes around the spring where the spring end goes into the shaft. This is what holds the spring in place. The split in the collar lines up with the hole in the shaft.

Jun 25, 2010
Ok so I tried everything that you guys have told me and I am still having trouble. I can get the spring to stay in the hole but then when I put the crankcase cover back on it pops the spring out of the hole. I have made a video and posted it on youtube showing my problem. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dNK6Z14hyU

Jun 25, 2010
The shaft is all the way back, and I believe #3 is engaged into #7. The shaft will not pull out or turn clockwise anymore so it is engaged?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I did not watch the entire video. Never try that with the kick starter and side cover off. The spring is broke, or something. The case holds the spring into place, after its installed. There is a great amount of tension when used properly, and all the parts are good. No way you can do what you did, unless the spring is broke, or the shaft is not installed properly. Something for sure!

Jun 25, 2010
Well I guess I will replace the spring. Hopefully it works! Thanks for all the help Bob, and Julien. I will post back here if it fixes it.

Jun 25, 2010
Ok so after hours of trying to get it I decided to give in and take it to the shop :bang:. I had the crankcase cover off so the guy hopped in the back of the truck to try to figure it out. He tried what I tried and couldn't get it. Then he noticed another hole! He tried that and guess what it worked! I did not even notice the other hole. He charged me zip too! The darn dealer next to the smaller shop was gonna charge me 95 bucks :yikes:. Glad I tried the smaller shop!

Jun 25, 2010
See the problem was neither the parts fiche or the shop manual shows the other hole! I guess I should be extra observant for other problems next time. Oh well its a learning process...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Every minute of every day is a learning process for me. Unfortunately, I learn more dumb things than useful things in those minutes. Congrats on getting it sorted out !!

Top Bottom