jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I have had it with ball-n-stick sports!

Last night I had to take one son to football practice, then drive my other over to hockey practice. Now this is not my complaint. Heck, hockey is not the problem either. I stayed for Jason's hockey practice because it started later and only lasts for 1 hour.

Cody's football practice on the otherhand is a 2+ hour ordeal.

Here is the scenario -
Jason's hockey practice is over and it went great. Time to go get Cody @ football practice. I pull up to see that there was a scrimage going on. NOT! Evidently, the team messed up a play 2 or 3 times and the assistant coach was furious. He stopped the scrimmage and took the boys over to another part of the field and proceded to yell at them and make them run wind sprints as punishment. I mean a lot of yelling. Now - I know that football is tough blah blah blah, but these are 5th grade boys in a beginning recreational league. 1/2 the team was crying their eyes out and this S.O.B. was still yelling and making them line up for more sprints.

I yanked my son out of practice immediately! I also called the coach and had a long heart to heart with him. What a bunch of crap!

I have had it with traditional sports like football and baseball. Hockey I'll keep, but these morons that are "coaching" these boys in football need their butts kicked. It isn't the NFL. :think:

BTW - My son still wants to play, it is his decision and I'll back him up to a reasonable point. If the coaches don't show some improvement I'll yank him off the team asap. This is supposed to be fun and educational for these young boys... :|

-jeffd

homey

Aug 7, 2001
Same thing happened to me when I was playing around that age. My dad pulled me off the team and we signed up in a different league, with a better coach. See if you can get him on another team, both of you will be much happier!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Jeff, if it's Pop-Warner then report it to the local commissioner. We just went through the same thing, had a video of a coach screaming at the boys after a game... how embarrassed he was ... the guy was so irate he was spitting as he was screaming, what an A$S. I spoke w/ the coach afterward and informed him that the program was for the benefit of the kids, NOT him ... was told to mind my own business, WRONG answer buddy. Spoke w/ the local commissioner and showed him the tape of the whole thing. The next week we went to Charlotte for a big game, the same coach grabbed a player by the face mask and dragged him to the sidelines like a dog then started screaming at him, guess who was at the game, ... The Pop-Warner commissioner and his boss. The coach is toast, gone, and the parents of the young man are contemplating having charges brought against the ex-coach. Don't let this stuff go unanswered, our kids need to know that someone is going to stand up for them, so they learn to stand up for their kids.

Same thing happened to me when I was playing around that age. My dad pulled me off the team and we signed up in a different league, with a better coach. See if you can get him on another team, both of you will be much happier!

Don't run from the problem, face it and change it! Good luck

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Yeah there are some problems with theese foot ball programs. My friend was just kicked off for the dumbest reason ever! What happend was he had spraind his foot so he "skiped" a few pratices. When he came back to play the coach made him get dreased do all the warmups, THEN tells him to sit on the bench and he wont be playing in any games or pratices untill said diffrent by him. So my friend put on head phones and was listaning to some music because he wasnet "allowed" to pratice when the coach came up to him. He said "are u listing to music?" my friend was like "yes" and the coach replaid with a "go get changed your off the team". My friend was like ok then. . . and left. After that alot of my friends that were on the team quit because the caoch is such a jerk. :|

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Update:

My son still wants to play so we made the game this Saturday, but the coach that was doing all the yelling and making the kids run as punishment was not there. I don't know if this is permanent, but I saw that the kids didn't miss him a bit nor did I for that matter! The kids did better as well and I saw improvement in their game and atitude. They didn't win, but they had fun when it was over.

-jeffd

Last edited:
B

biglou

Jeff-Your first post sounds a little bit like the "summer camp" I attended back in 1983...

"Your left, your left, your left-right-left"

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
fat camp? :p

Doh! :eek:

Originally posted by Monkeymouse

Yeah there are some problems with theese foot ball programs. My friend was just kicked off for the dumbest reason ever! What happend was he had spraind his foot so he "skiped" a few pratices. When he came back to play the coach made him get dreased do all the warmups, THEN tells him to sit on the bench and he wont be playing in any games or pratices untill said diffrent by him. So my friend put on head phones and was listaning to some music because he wasnet "allowed" to pratice when the coach came up to him. He said "are u listing to music?" my friend was like "yes" and the coach replaid with a "go get changed your off the team". My friend was like ok then. . . and left. After that alot of my friends that were on the team quit because the caoch is such a jerk.

MM, that sounds more like your friend just blew off practice. Not fair to the other players, even if he was hurt. Being part of a team is more than just showing up.

Gotta agree on this "Coach who thinks he's in the pros" thing. Most of these guys probably never made the team, and are now taking it out on the little guys 'cause he was a towel boy for 4 years...

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
jeffd - Wait a minute... you're from Texas, right? I don't think I'd be telling this story to your neighbors. They might just run you and your family across the Red River into Oklahoma. :scream:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Jeff, I'm ashamed of your :whiner: ! Don't you know this is Texas? Your kids are supposed to be donated to the football factory! You have no rights when they step on the field.

All kidding aside, don't expect it to get better as they grow up. Here in Hell, TX. the kids are not allowed to be out after 10:00, not allowed to set with the girls, play their games on Fri. night and at 7:00 AM the next morning are reviewing tape of the game and then working out on weights. There is no "off season" for these kids. That's why my son rides bikes. He can set with all the girls and hang out with people like those at DW. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom