cdtbrown

Sep 4, 2003
my kill switch on my 99 yz 125 sometimes works and other times it doesnt. i would just like to know if this can be fixed or if i buy a new one will it be the same?
p.s. is stalling the engine to stop it bad for it.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thx

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
sounds like a short to me...find the short or ground problem by tracing your wires down from the bar to under the tank.It might be possible to fix the short with some butt connectors,if all else fails,a new switch would be the next step.The new switch should fix the intermitent workings.If you get an OEM kill switch,it is just a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new.Stalling the bike should'nt really bother the bike short term,over the long though it might cause some issues,what they might be I am not sure.I would either fix the old or get a new switch.Cheers.

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
do you guys actually use this ill switch?
on my cr125... it's quicker just letting off the gas and letting the engine die. Whats the difference between letting the engine die and holding down the button?

cdtbrown

Sep 4, 2003
thanks for the help. ive tried cleaning the contacts already. i think ill just buy a new one. i cant just let off the gas and let my bike cut out because when i let off the gas my bike just keeps ticking over probably til it runs out of petrol. most bikes dont do this and i dont know why mines does it. is this bad?
ps does anyone know how much a new kill switch is in £`s

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Umm... 2 stroke egnines are supposed to idle, cdtbrown, so your bike is just fine. Some people think they get better throttle responds if they have their bikes set up so the do not idle... I've experimented and found little difference, and I'd much rather have my bike idle when I want it too. However, you definitley want a working kill switch! Ever been on a bike with a stuck throttle... its quite an experience!

cdtbrown

Sep 4, 2003
i have actualy but it was an old mtx 125 which wasnt very vast but when the throttle stuck on i think my underwear filled up very fast. lol. it was actualy quite an experience!

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
me too, my uncle had just rebuilt the carb on my dads 1979 250 and it SOMEHOW rattled itself apart causing it to run wide open. My dad still remembers me flying by him screaming.

cdtbrown

Sep 4, 2003
unlucky! it was probably a very frightening time for you. how did you stop it?(just if it happens to me again. i just rammed on the back brake and stalled it and skidded to a halt)

Top Bottom