Fordwheeler

Oct 21, 2008
I am 31yrs old 5'7" and weigh 130lbs. I get pretty agresive on my wifes crf100 wich is the first dirtbike I have ridden. (tried my friends cr125 and that thing scares me) I will not be racing the bike on any pro tracks but will be doing some jumps on a home made track (I bottom the 100 easilly on this track but not a ttr125 I tried) and plan on mostly riding out on the trails wich include alot of long hillclimbs/river crossings/mudboggs. I do all the maintenence work on the 100 now and also my 2 trucks so I plan on doing my own maint./repairs on the bike I get. And I would prefer a 4 stroke because I like the smoother power delivery. (I tried a kx80 and even that was to peaky for me)

I have been leaning towards the crf150 or 230 but am totaly open to other brands. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh yaeh I don't live in California and I would like to stay under 3000$

Sean

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They're both trail bikes. Both air cooled. I think the 230 may have the magic button, the 150 is kick. Both heavy in comparison to an MX bike. The 230 will be torquier than the 150. The suspension will be better for your weight too. The 2 bikes are essentially the same, just different sizes.

Fordwheeler

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the info. I'm kinda nervous about getting the 230 because of the starter and all the river crossings and mud, should I be? I wouldn't take it across any rivers I wouldn't walk across but the starters look like they are kinda low.

I like the looks of the KTMs, do they have something similar to the crf230?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have no experience with a crf230, or any e-start bikes. Honda generally builds thier trail bikes good enough to hold up to almost anything.

KTM doesn't make any short travel trail bikes, they're all long travel, full size bikes or minis. The 105 is the biggest mini KTM has. If you don't mind not being able to touch the ground with both feet you could go with a full size.

Apr 30, 2007
The 105 is going to be a lot like the Cr 125. Not as tall, so perhaps not quite so intimidating, but they are wickedly fast!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, you're pretty much limited to a trail bike if you want low seat height, 4 stroke and low maintenance. I have a blast on my wife's ttr125. It's not how big it is, it's how fast you make it go, lol. I'm 5'10" so it's pretty small for me, but I can ride it just as fast through the woods. The other thing to consider is the fact that if I rode that bike all the time it would definately be clapped out in a hurry. You don't want to go too small. Lots of vertically challenged riders like the crf230.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have both a 150 and a 230. For your size you will like the 230 better. I am 5'7" also but I weigh #%&, ouch. The 230 is nice to ride while standing. You will love the e-button!

J-man

May 16, 2007
the CRF230F would be fine. my buddy's 230 has done all the stuff that our big bikes do and hi has made across some rivers pretty good. The CRF150F is a good bike too, i have hade mine for almost 2 years now but its just realls slow and the torque is really sad. both bikes are really easy on maintainance though. hopes this helps.

Apr 30, 2007
If you haven't jumped the gun yet, I might suggest a newer (2003 or so) Honda XR250.

The power is great, and not at all like a 125. Think...meaty and delicious instead of wild and spicey. And it shouldn't be any heavier than the 230. They are bullet proof, and super easy to maintain!

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
The xr250 has about a 34 inch seatheight which is about two or three inches taller than a ttr125... It also has electric start with i think is nice for a trail riding bike. I am only 5'3 and im on a 38 inch seatheight i can only touch with one foot but you should touch plenty good on a xr250....

Fordwheeler

Oct 21, 2008
I rode a friends crf150 and that has a 32" seat height wich I was more than comfortable on, a couple more inches wouldn't hurt. Do they still make the xr250? And what would pricing be like for it? Used and or new.

Apr 30, 2007
I believe the last year of the XR250 was either 2003 or 2004. You could find those year models for 2,000, to 2,500 with very very little trouble! I think you'd like the extra ground clearance, and the power/weight ratio seems a little better.

maxshred171

Nov 10, 2008
im 5'9'' 150lbs and the 150 is a little small. however, the bike is totally reliable. ive put in over 3000 miles and have only changed the oil and airfilter for regular maintenance. i know the 230 has the same basic engine components and shares the reliability. if you dont mind moderate power, the 230 is an excellent trail bike

Fordwheeler

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah for the riding that I do for the most part I don't need tons of power. I ride my wifes 100 in the hills here and I never find myself needing more power. However when we do have 2 bikes we will be heading into the mountains where there are much longer and steeper hills to tackle.

Thanks again for all the help guys, sure will make shopping for a bike easier.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have yet to ride anything my wife's ttr125 couldn't do. That thing will chug up just about anything. The smile factor much greater on my crf though. Just depends on the rate of acceleration and suspension you want. The xr 250 is a great compromise, rock solid reliability, smooth power and suspension worthy of leaving the ground.

Top Bottom