King County Washington - looking for trails

Discussion in 'Who to Ride With, Where to Ride' started by Fultoncm, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Fultoncm

Fultoncm Novice

I'm new to this forum, and Washington State. I am moving to Maple Valley in June and was wondering where some trails are at. I've heard from Maple Valley locals that there are a few in the area, but no exact locations. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll also be looking for people to ride with...special note: I'll have a keg in the garage for those who want freebies after some riding. :boss:

- PRODUCT DEALS -

2. firecracker22

firecracker22 Sponsoring Member

You'll have to cross the mountains. All the good trails are over here. And you can bring the keg. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fultoncm

Fultoncm Novice

If I can get a generator to power the fridge, it'll be there! I have only been in Eastern Washington once, on my drive from Florida to here, and from what I could see it was a desert. I must be wrong.

I'll have to find some underground spots near Maple Valley to keep me busy during the week.

4. bsmith

bsmith Wise master of the mistic

Fulton,
    Welcome to Warshington!

Do some searches in the Western Chapters forum. Sorry can't help more then that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Fultoncm

Fultoncm Novice

I'll keep my eye posted on that. I got a book from the local Suzuki shop that has all the public places to ride, that helps, but I want to find those hidden spots that aren't on any map or brochure. We had dozens of those where I grew up in Ohio.

6. splatt

splatt Resident mental case

Try www.nmaoffroad.org they have a list of riding areas and events in the state of Washington. Welcome to both the state and this site.

Steve

7. firecracker22

Well first of all, there's nothing wrong with dez riding, especially since it means we can keep our bikes out all winter. Dunes at 2, maybe 3 different areas or deserty trails in the hills are all easily accessible. The yearly Desert 100 race that was just a couple weekends ago in Odessa draws hundreds of riders and spectators.

Second, it's certainly NOT all like that! Here in Ellensburg the eastern slopes of the Cascades are 30 minutes from town, and beautiful forested riding trails stretch from down just west of Yakima clear up to the Canadian border. Taneum, Naches, Lake Wenatchee, Salmon la Sac/Teanaway, the Sawtooths ...
    You can check out some of my trail pics at http:photos.yahoo.com/flyin_firecracker22 in the Taneum, Lake Wenatchee or Teanaway folders. My photo gallery here has a couple, too.

And then, further east by Spokane, there's even more great riding. I used to live over there and really liked it, too.

So whenever you get ready to ride, post in the "Places to Ride" or "West" forums and we'll round up some people. I'm giving my broken arm a few more weeks of heal-time, but by mid-May I hope to be riding again. I can always round up a crew to hit Taneum or Lake Wen.

Attached Files:

8. Fultoncm

Fultoncm Novice

You know, I'd be down for coming over to that side of WA and checking that out. Probably more over there than here. All the narrow-minded hippies in Seattle can't see that far! LOL

It'll definitely be June before I get a chance to make a trip like that, but I'll be sure to post something when I do.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

9. Ripper125

Ripper125 Member

I am in Issaquah, no more than 20 minutes from Maple Valley. The places right around where you are are pretty much some nice gravel pits and small trails, but up north a place called Reihter pit (SP), which is only about 50 minutes from us has some really good riding. By ellensberg there is manastash, which I hear is pretty amazing. You let me know whenever you want to ride and I'd be glad to come along. I'll share a few brews with you after to!

10. firecracker22

I live in Ellensburg--Taneum is the place you want to go. It ties into Manastash, but the Taneum area is closer and has better access to a wider variety of trails. There's also Salmon la Sac and Teanaway on the north side of the freeway, but I have only been there once and don't know it as well. It's really cool though. I should be riding again by mid-May (busted arm) so let me know if/when you guys head this way. We still have some snow, should be more melted by then.