KIPS Advancer shaft lever alignment ?

Dec 9, 2004
I just got done with my first top end job. Everything went fine until it was time to align the advancer shaft lever to the main shaft pinion. I could not find a notch in the main shaft pinion. Is it possible that my main shaft does not have the notch in it. The main shaft has two pinions on this side, so I aligned the advancer shaft lever with the mark on the exhaust valve pinion(the larger one). Put the rest of the bike together and started up. Did the break-in stuff then started to get on it. Did not have very good low end power (shaved the head so I thought my jetting would be off), so I changed jets a few times got a little better but nothing like it was before I did the top end. Upper power band screams, so I am assuming my advancer lever is not lined up right.
So if anybody knows what I am missing or if I can align the advancer lever to some else, please !! let me know.

Thanks,
from the gumbie dirt bike mechanic.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
the marks on the pinion can be hard to see. On mine, they appear as very slight indentations or machined steps on the outside of the tooth. If you assemble it so that the exhaust valves are fully closed, it will be aligned correctly - if you get it one tooth out of alignment you should be able to see through the exhaust port that the valves are not quite closed. Really, it's easier than it sounds..

Andrew

Dec 9, 2004
Andrew,
I made sure the exhaust port was closed, put the lever on. Put the rest bike back together, started it up and it runs like a top!! My low end is better than ever!!
Thanks
from the not so gumbie dirt bike mechanic

Top Bottom