Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Took the top end apart today, looked good but still puting a Weisco in because It's a 220. Took a look at the powervalves and they all looked a bit gooey but not too bad. Worked but seemed a little gummed up so I cleaned them with solvents (brake cleaner, gas and kerosene, tooth brush and small wire brush) , but did not take them completely apart. I oiled them with MX 2T after gettin them cleaned and they worked quite good and freely. I made sure everything was opening and closing and properly timed by matching the lines between the two knotched gear teeth on the side valves. Now here's the question.

When putting them back do they go together with the valves open or closed when I attach the shaft? I assume that they are open when at low RPM's and close when on high RPMs? Is that right?

BTW, a spoke wrench works great to hold the shaft while loosening the nut.

It was nice to have all this information prior to getting into the job as I was aware of the shaft being left threaded and the web page by Brian was helpful but I still was not sure hoe to take them all the way apart but they didn't appear to need it. I have been using Mobil 1 MX 2T for quite a while, but started out using Golden Spectro for about 3 months.

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I also took the cylinder off my 220 today. Its a 98 220 and the cylinder has never been off the bike (I bought it used last spring)!! The KIPS is a little gummed up but not that bad (thank god from Maxima Super M). I have never taken the top end off a bike before, so opening it up was like christmas all over agian. It defiantely needs new piston/rings, you recommend Wiesco? Im going to take the whole cylinder and head to a shop and get som advice because Im not sure about a couple things and I need them cleared up. I would ask you guys but I need someone to actally show me. I am also a little indimadted by disassembling the KIPS and cleaning them and trying to assemble them right. I have read the article by Bryan Kimsley and that helped a bunch. I think I will just dive right in and see what happens.

Dirtin'

Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by fatty_k
Im going to take the whole cylinder and head to a shop and get som advice because Im not sure about a couple things and I need them cleared up. I would ask you guys but I need someone to actally show me. .

You may as well get it ported and pollished while your at it. It's like $120, send it to Eric Gorr.
<- Link

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
What I mean is that the cylinder walls are a little bit scored and there is a medium sized nick just above the exhaust port. I would love to get it ported but $120 american is close to $250 Canadian. I just dont have that kinda dough being an unemployed 16 year old. I just want to take it to a shop and see what they have to say about it. Thanks anyways, I will keep Eric Gorr's service in the back of my mind though.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Fred T

I am also doing one right now and put mine back together with them in the closed position,as it looks to me,the subports actually open after 6000 rpms is what my service manual says,and the fact that the advancer only turns to the right,I think that if you put them in with them in the open position,then the gears would break the first time they open.My first time on this kdx also so I am no expert.I would like to see if you could help me with my post thou on whether your kips vavle main shaft turns freely after torqing your head down.Thanks mike

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I will.

I plan to put it back together today before the SX on ABC at 3:00. I'll let you know how it works.

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
As you probably figured out by now, the valves are closed when the cylinder is sitting on your workbench and when you turn the gear, they should open (and open all the way, too).

When in doubt about these things, get the Sharpie maker out and make index marks on everything before disassembling. Makes it a lot easier to get things lined up again when assembling.

Thanks for posting the link to my page- glad that's been useful.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Bryan Kimsey
glad that's been useful

Its been more than useful to me!! Your article is just what I needed; something with pictures!! I could read every book about the KIPS system and still not fully understand, but show me some pics and I'll get it easy!

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Mikeb
Hey Bryan

You mind if we put your photos on the JustKDX website for all to see?

That's fine with me- are you going to upload the whole page or just the pics or what? Go e-mail on this- faster response: mailto:bakimsey@bacavalley.com

Top Bottom