RedStreak

Feb 19, 2006
Okay so yesterday I got picked up early from school. My Mom told me it was for "family" reasons. Expecting the worst, my mind darted to my Grampa with heart problems. Could it be my elderly labrador? Well she wouldn't tell me what it was, so we got in the car and drove about 30 minutes. I was scared to death. My Mom looked anxious. We parked at a large pink veterinarian office. I thought of my dog again, even though this wasn't our normal veterinairan. We walked in, it was a nice spacious room with like pretty sweet stuff. Im a computer geek so i was amazed at all the technology gadgets they had. My Mom told the woman at the desk we were here to see "Wendy". A few minutes later we were taken back to an examination room where we saw a beautiful domestic shorthair gray tigery cat. My Mom told the lady we had decided on "Wendy" to adopt. I was so happy. we were getting a new kitten, as our 18 year old bombay black cat had died this summer. She's only four months old and we don't really like the name "wendy". She's a wonderful cat. Anyone have any cat stories like this? And i'd also like some name ideas. We've thought of Betsy, Dorothy (after my gramma) and Martha. We kind of wanted literature and historical names. If you have any ideas please let me know! :laugh:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Not historical or anything, but i vote for "Knobs" I had a cat growing up, Mick.. He was cool and is missed..

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
LGK is already taken - hahah~! I have a similar story. I got my new kitty from the shelter and could NOT think of a name so for the longest time it was New Kitty, then Little Gray Kitty and LGK for short. Then LGK turned into "Elgie Kay" (get it?).

But now it's just Kitty.

I vote for Lou.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
sweet. I can't think of a name for your cat, I could barely think of one for ours!

My girlfriend and I adopted a cat just 2 days ago from the Nevada SPCA, a no kill facility. They had the cats in nice rooms with tons of toys and things to climb and lay on, it was great to see, I hate to see animals caged unless they need to be.

I went there trying to find a cat that acted most like a dog. There were mulitple rooms you can go in and I found a ton of awesome cats, they really knew how to be adopted! They were totally loving and friendly. I worked my way through like 4 of 5 rooms and thought I had my mind made up and sure enough in the last one I found the cat for me. I went in there and it was mostly younger cats and I was petting a few and this one with big blue eyes came up and jumped on my lap, just like 10 other cats did but this one licked my arm (dogs are notorious for licking) and it would stand on its hind legs when I went to pet it reminiscent of a dog really wanting attention. After the really good impression she was the one to adopt for us.

Now at home she still does the stuff that caught my attention and she loves to hang out and be your buddy, she is awesome, very happy about our choice.

When it came to names it took us 2 days to change her name from Dasani to Heidi. I think Dasani is VERY cheesy so we had to rename her. If anyone is looking for a cat Tonkinese are VERY good breeds. That is what she is.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ellen, short for ellen gee /LNG / little-n-gray. once had a cat named "two car" cause we couldnt get rid of him out of the 2car garage and decided he could stay

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'm voting for Lou as well. Who cares if it's a girl. It makes it even funnier. This way when people say "...but it's a girl." you can sternly reply with "Yeah, I know!" LOL

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I called my cat Lucky cause I found her in the woods when I was 10 years old. She eventually made it into the house and is now are beloved cat. Lucky, I think is an appopriate name, get it?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
dog

I've got a cat that thinks he's a damn dog. Shakes his ears like a dog shaking mites out of his ears. Jumps across the bed in the middle of the night head-butting me, scrounging his head up against mine trying to get me to pet him or scratch his ears....best yet--when I scratch his ears or neck really hard, his leg comes up like a dog and starts chompin away at the bit. Pretty damn funny. You'd think the thing was raised by wolves. If I could rename it, he'd be 'dog'.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
+1 for lou

although our cats have always been named kitty. Except when I was really young and there was mommakitty.

Mommakitty gave us kitty. Kitty was with us for a looooong time but got progressively wilder and wilder only visiting us three or four times a year. When we moved we never saw kitty again.
We then got kitty. Kitty was given to my mother by a student (she was a school nurse) whose mother wouldn't let her keep it. Kitty grew up with archie(dog) they were best friends. Kitty's big trick was to jump into the heating ducts and pop up in another room. She would then attack Archie from behind. Sadly kitty disappeared while I was away at camp one year. Archie was saddened by the loss. So sad :(
Then we adopted kitty. she was a good cat. Kitty was around for quite some time.
By now I was married and we got kitty. kitty was a good cat but had a bit of a hard time negotiating traffic. RIP kitty.
Then there was kitty. Kitty was not happy when we moved to our current house but kitty adapted quite well. Unfortunately Kitty wasn't too savy on using the crosswalk and died a similar death to kitty.
about a year ago we decided that it was time to get a new cat so we adopted Kitty from the local pound. Kitty is a great cat. She wasn't too keen on Ben(100lb rottie/shepard mix) but he grew on her. She's even warming up to her new brother Zack who arrived last week.
So Lou is a fine name, but the name kitty has served my family well for years. Grandma's cat was kitty, and to this day my parents have kitty.
The only down side is that it really messes up the vet. But that's ok too. It's fun to watch thier faces when they pull up our name on the screen and scroll through the list.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

My cats name is Harley. Haha lots of ppl names their cats some variation of kitty, we had one named kittypuss. I think Lou is a cute name as well.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
My old social studies teacher's name was Lois. Yes, it was a female. That's kinda "historic". Lol, not really any help, but Lou is kinda neat......

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LOU! The kitty must be named LOU!

Hampo

Sep 7, 2006
Dude that is scary that is almost the exact thing that happened to me. My mom picked me up early from school , it was freaky my teacher came up to and was like ur moms here crhis shes taking you home early. I asked my mom why she said we have to go get your sister so 10 min later we were driving mum wasnt answering our questions then we pull into puppy palace. wed been wanting a dog for along time and my birthday was the next day. Brought home a little fluffy maltese cross with westie and poodle and named it bonnie. She always comes riding with us now :)

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
I'm still laughing about the "Kitty" story :-) We had a Mommakitty as well. My friends seem to think that I am the local animal drop off so currently we have 4 dogs and 3 cats, good thing we live in the country. I named one cat Norman after the character in A River Runs Through It, mainly because of the way his mother always pronounced his name. Then there is his sister and her name is.......Sister :-) My favorite (good thing Sister can't read this..she's sitting on my lap trying to type) is Georgie, she is the baby with the biggest personality and extremely "curious" hence the name.
My best suggestion is to watch your new kitty for awhile and see what her personality is. We had a dog that loved to dig up rocks so we named him Dozer.
Good Luck!

Top Bottom