KLR Bucket & Shim Adjustment - method??

timberguy

May 10, 2006
The official way involves getting the cam off enough to change out the shim.

But is it also possible to use something similar to the Motion Pro tools??

There are two styles one for Kawasaki - but not specifically the KLR, and the other for I think Honda. One seems designed to wedge the valve / spring down as you twist the handle, and the other seems more like a pry tool plus another, contoured bar that seems to hold it in the depressed position.

Any advice from people familiar with this would be appreciated.

It would be great if any of the existing tools worked out for this, but since they were designed for other bikes, obviously there may be dimensional and shape problems. And I'm not sure this can actually work on a KLR.

I've been to the KLR site and seen the write-up there.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
timberguy said:
Any advice from people familiar with this would be appreciated.
It would be great if any of the existing tools worked out for this, but since they were designed for other bikes, obviously there may be dimensional and shape problems. And I'm not sure this can actually work on a KLR.
QUOTE]

timberguy.

I am familiar with the tools you are referring to but, I'm not sure if they will work on your bike. If your engine uses the shim and bucket with the shim UNDER the bucket, I don't think it will work. If the shim is on top of the valve like the CRF Honda exhaust valves then, with some modification, it may work.

On the other hand, I do not recommend using these tools even if they will work. The reason for that is, when it is time for a valve adjustment it is also time to inspect your cam and all of the related moving parts. If you simply change the shim without checking the other parts, you could have something going wrong in your engine and you won't see it. It only takes a few more minutes to remove the cam holder and inspect the cam, buckets and any related parts that my be wearing excessively or about to break.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom