KLX 300 info...please

Scottyx

Feb 21, 2002
Listen guys,i live in South Africa and i own a '99 kdx 200 (modified to the max) but 2 stroke oil prices are a bit hefty now and are climbing.I am interested in buying a 4 stroke that can match or beat my kdx package.i am particularly looking at a used klx 300....could you please let me in on the pros and cons of the bike and how it will compare to my kdx.what does the 'R' mean in 'klx 300 r'? please guys,it would be much appreciated! thanks

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
That is an inaccurate statement. The KLX is every bit as capable as the KDX and has better suspension and handling. in really nast slippery conditions the KLX is better. The only thing the KDX does better is start a little easier. These cryptic one liners, with no facts to back them up are a disservice to someone trying to ,make an educated purchase. If you can't take the time to back up your slam with some facts, just go back to picking the wings off of flies.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Here is my quick rundown on the KLX:
Pros:
Modern 4valve head and liquid cooling,
decent but not enormous power,
decent suspension(with springs matched to rider weight)
great handling,
perimeter frame
low seat height for those of us with short legs
with a few inexpensive mods it can be made better( remove intake and exhaust restrictors), with a little money it can be made a lot better
with regular maintenance it is very reliable

Cons:
Brittle kickstart idler gear
notchy shifting
occasional hard starting
soft front suspension
it has lower ground clearance than most full size dirtbikes
not a lot of plastic or graphics choices

Last edited:

kx80rider

Mar 29, 2002
Hey, im 14 and i have a 2001 klx 300 and i love it, get it, its got all the power youl need and its fast aounth. do you ever see very many ball pythons? i used to keep them, but i keep mostly boas now.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i have some knowledge here....owner of a 99 kdx200 and a 99 klx300.penguin is right on as usual.my personal opinion is the klx is a great handler,pretty much trouble free bike.with mods header/carb, it's a very nice runner too.seat ht hurts me some...6'1 i have learned to deal w that.there r situations where the klx is easier to ride as penguin mentioned.i had trouble w stock kdx suspension...mine is not stock and is equal or better ,matching klx handling is not easy.i give the kdx the nod in...power,power delivery,wt,flick and feel.i've grown to love those kdx qualities and wish the klx had more of that.my kdx starts inside 3 kicks under any situation,not so w the klx.i enjoy both ,nothing is perfect ,both bikes have positives /negatives on any given day far as what ur doin and where ur doin it.there must b a reason i have both in the garage,besides to drive the wife nuts ;)

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You guys gatta give Scotty the full run down here. Give him more detail about the CV carb on the klx and how expensive it is to upgrade to a pumper... Maybe even give some detail as to why the CV just doesnt perform. For those of us that relish the instant "snap" of a KDX that allows the rider to loft over objects the klx is - to say the least - cumbersome. It is a very nice rider but the costs of mods compared to the KDX is prohibitive isnt it?
2 pennies
Woodsy

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
true i put a lot of money in my klx but go faster mods ,pumper carb/stroker header,muffler with the free planetklx stuff is no more out of line than ....boysen reeds,fmf pipe /pc2 silencer,carb work and parts,porting,with the usual kdx "to do" stuff.the cvk on the klx works off vacuum and throttle response is a big issue but i made due for quite some time with it and did fine.woodsy u have a good point ,not trying to knock u .like i said i put a lot of cash in mine but the finished product was worth it. :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…