Lar

Aug 29, 2000
Hello, I am a newbie. My last bike was a 650 Honda street bike about ten years ago, and I am in the research phase of buying a dirt bike. My questions are: It seems from reading the posts on the KLX 300, many owners do mods to the bike after they purchase. The KX 250F is around 900 dollars more(300 more if one takes advantage of Kawasakis 600 dollar factory to dealer rebate), so are the majority of the KLX mods still keeping the KLX below the cost of a KX?

Thanks for your help, Larry

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
No.

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
Those are two completely different bikes! I'd be more concerned about making the right decision on what to buy that will make you happy for the type of riding that you're doing, and less concerned about cost. Maybe get something in between i.e. KDX.

Last year I was debating KLX/KDX. I went KLX because I found the right bike at the right price (spottless and not much money). After a couple weeks I was wishing I had gone with KDX, so I sold the KLX and went straight for the KTM.

gumby1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2002
The KLX is a great bike. I've owned about 40 dirt bikes over 34 years and the KLX is my favorite. Easy to start hot or cold, reliable, handles well, good power with a few mods, and easy on gas. It's an outstanding woods bike.

YZjDg125

Sep 18, 2004
Great Bikes Indeed.

My uncle has the 04 KLX 300 and they are LOTS of fun. It was a little heavy compared to my YZ that I ride, but it still handled real well. Once you get that end plate off the exhaust its good to rip.

dcarl

Sep 25, 2002
Lar said:
Hello, I am a newbie. My last bike was a 650 Honda street bike about ten years ago, and I am in the research phase of buying a dirt bike. My questions are: It seems from reading the posts on the KLX 300, many owners do mods to the bike after they purchase. The KX 250F is around 900 dollars more(300 more if one takes advantage of Kawasakis 600 dollar factory to dealer rebate), so are the majority of the KLX mods still keeping the KLX below the cost of a KX?

Thanks for your help, Larry

Keep in mind they are two entirely different bikes. If you want a trail bike get the KLX300R. If you want an MX bike, get the KX250F.

Any bike will require mods to suit the rider. The KLX is a great trail bike but needs some help with the suspension and benefits from a number of free mods, then exhaust and carb mods.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
Lar said:
The KX 250F is around 900 dollars more(300 more if one takes advantage of Kawasakis 600 dollar factory to dealer rebate), so are the majority of the KLX mods still keeping the KLX below the cost of a KX?

you are comparing apples to squirrels. the kx is high-performance mx grenade. i personally would never consider one, partly because i don't race mx and partly because the honda and yamaha mx-ers seem to have a MUCH better rep for reliability.

the klx is an old-school trailbike that is fun and easy to ride, but is pretty stone-age. i like mine, but i would not buy a new one. if i wanted a new little-bitty thumper, i'd probably get a wr250f.

imho, to be useful for any serious riding, the klx needs the free mods, a pumper carb, and some suspension work. add that to the price of a new klx, and a wr250f is cheaper, faster, about the same weight, and has e-start. no brainer, imho.

mw

Jul 19, 2004
run away from the KLX. someone did me a favor when they stole mine!!.... you'll spend $$ on it and it will still be heavy and slow ,with not much for clearance. go buy a 05 WR250. I ride an 03 kx250 I would never even sit on a klx again. I ride tight woods AAA single track.

LOL

or go to www.klxzone.co.uk and learn about alll of the mods

cheers.

KLX'r300R

Apr 30, 2005
Looking at the replys, it seems to be love/hate for the KLX.
All I can say is that my '01 KLX300R has been reliable. It's nimble on the trail. After doing the free power up, exhaust and Dynojet Kit the bike getzitdone.

crfisnotgood

Mar 25, 2005
I think you should get a wr250f. These bikes seem better to me than a klx300 does. The wr's are new, so they would have better technology in them than a klx would.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
klx is great for vertically challenged folks.
Not unlike the kdx in terms of rideability and hop up potential.
If higher performance is in your near future I might suggest starting at a more high performance baseline, and going from there.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
KLX'r300R said:
Looking at the replys, it seems to be love/hate for the KLX.
All I can say is that my '01 KLX300R has been reliable. It's nimble on the trail. After doing the free power up, exhaust and Dynojet Kit the bike getzitdone.
Same as my 02. :cool: :aj:

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
I have a 2000 KLX 300 for sale in Seattle. Great bike with only about 50 hours on it. Well cared for and all stock. You live in Montana, don't know if that's too far for you.

smalls

May 7, 2005
I have never had or ridden a KLX but I have a 2002 KDX 200 and a 2005 KX 250F. I like them both a lot. Each bike does really well in the terrain it was designed for but you can get away with riding the KDX in a few MX races or the KXF in a harescramble or two. I would reccomend the KDX though, it is a great bike to learn on and I have never had a problem with it. It is fairly low in cost too!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I dont believe there is a better woods bike than the klx to learn on. Honestly simply amazing bikes, i fitted kx suspension for 150 and its superb. Well worth the money. They have so much potential. Id jump at one for the right money!! They look fresh when old and keep very well. The kxf really is a grenade...stay well away!!

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
If you plan on doing anything faster that walking speed on the trail, get ANY mx250.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
blanc said:
Just the forks...I am doing the rear shock now also and fitting a kx rearend, rewelding and cutting.

Thanks.

Reason I asked is I have a spare KX125 shock; was wondering if it fit up as is or needed to be modded first. I remember Roesler used to use KX internals for the KLX shock mod - why not use the whole thing?

Top Bottom