Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I have a 1997 KLX 300. I purchased it used and it’s always had a little ticking noise in the top end. Kinda sounds like the valves are too loose. Well, I’ve checked them and they are fine. .006 and .007 on the intake and .005 and .004 on the exhaust. My timing chain tensioner seems fine too, when I pull it out, it’s only about half way extended.

Here’s the story: I was riding with my son on his XR50 and we stopped to take a break. When I got back on my bike it was hard to start. When it finally started it ran really bad missing and backfiring. The next morning I couldn’t get it to start. I took it home, washed it, and it sat under my patio for about a week. When I tried to start it, It had very little compression. I couldn’t even find the “hard spot”. I push started it and it ran but not good. A lot more of that ticking noise in the top end and missing and backfiring. After the bike warmed up, the noise tapered off and it ran alot better. The bike is running ok now but still with a little ticking noise in the top end and not quite as smooth power delivery as before. I’m almost positive there it’s a valve sticking or something to do with the valves. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JohnE

Aug 22, 2002
Your problem sounds like the one I had with my KLX365. I had the same kind of ticking noise (the motor ran fine though) and it turned out to be the cam chain tensioner. The tensioner would actually back off when the motor was running. I know the thing is spring loaded and there is a locking ratchete mechanism so it should never back off. Might be worth a try.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
You won't find much help on this forum on the KLX since it's not Red or Blue ;)

There is a deep discussion about the ticking noise going on at over the last few days on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PlanetKLX/
This is the group site for the PlanetKLX members. Go there for any questions you have. do a search or just browse. It is the most information on the net you'll find about this underatted bike.

Top Bottom