Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I have a 97 KLX 300 with a little ticking noise in the top end. Once it gets hot, the noise is less noticeable. I had the top end down recently and inspected the buckets and shims but never removed the valves. Everything looked fine. Could my valves be too tight?

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
From what I understand, it is normal for the KLX to have more top end noise than most bikes. Not sure what causes it though. Hopefully some other, more experienced, KLXers chime in on this one. I've seen a number of posts on this subject on the PlanetKLX list...

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I've had a problem like that on my klx. Doing the valve adjustment didn't fix it, and the chain looked fine. After looking around for a while, I noticed that the timing chain tensioner had some wear on it. The piston that extends out of the tensioner has a row of teeth on it, and a simple catch mates with those teeth when the piston extends to keep the chain tight. One side of the row had worn down and was allowing the catch to release, letting the chain loosen up.

A new tensioner was the end of that noise in my case, but a new tensioner seems to last only a year or less. It seems to me that the part is not designed well. The piston fits sort of sloppyish, and can rotate a bit in the tensioner housing to the point that the catch only touches the side of the teeth and wears it down. It's easy to pull the tensioner out so take a look at yours, and also check with the guys at www.planetklx.com

Last edited:

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
Milquetoast, if it were the timing chain making the noise, then it shouldn't quiet down when it's hot. Should it? :think:

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Usually the problem you are describing is from to much valve clearance,when the motor is cold the valve clearance is loose and as the motor comes up to operating temp. the clearance gets smaller and the noise less.have you had or checked the valve clearance lately?The sound is almost a loud ticking noise if the valves are loose,as you rev the motor the ticking should keep pace with the rpm it won't dissapear and reappear.

Top Bottom